How many languages do you know?

I thought it would be interesting to know how many languages each of us knows. We've engineers from all parts of the world - so I'm sure its going to be very interesting.

When you say you know a language, it means - You can :
  • Speak
  • Write
  • Read
in that language.

I'll set the ball rolling : -

Its English, Hindi & Marathi for me. πŸ˜€ ; what about you?

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    English, Hindi & Punjabi
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Arabic, English & learning Deutsche
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    English,Hindi,Tamil and Telugu(only speak)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow, great going! I know a person who is fluent in 5 different languages! How cool is that!
  • neelu.
    neelu.
    πŸ˜€Hi everyone!!!The languages which i know is hindi,english,marathi,SINDHIπŸ˜€
  • mahul
    mahul
    English, Hindi and Bengali 4 me.
  • neelam_neha
    neelam_neha
    well i knw English,Hindi,Marathi n Japanese.......
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Guys, I wonder aren't the east-asian languages India, Pakistan, Srilanka..etc but not the chinese look countries..aren't this languages little different?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Chinese look countries? πŸ˜› I suppose East Asia refers to Japan, China, Korea, etc. Surprisingly, even though their writing seems similar, they are a little isolated from each other in their roots. But some say Korean and Japanese have some elements from Turkic and Mongolic.

My language, Bahasa Melayu (Malay), is part of an Austronesian family of languages. We share roots with Bahasa Indonesia, Tagalog (Philippines), and all those islands in the Pacific including Hawaii. In the west, as far as Madagascar πŸ˜‰

As for the roots for languages of South Asian countries, I'll leave it up to the rest to discuss πŸ˜›
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    This means they nearly the same, like Arabic countries Egyptian differs from Lebanese from Saudi from Morrocco in almost all the words but at the last they're similar.

I mean when I say Hindu, Punjabi...etc they aren't different languages, right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MaRo
    This means they nearly the same, like Arabic countries Egyptian differs from Lebanese from Saudi from Morrocco in almost all the words but at the last they're similar.

I mean when I say Hindu, Punjabi...etc they aren't different languages, right?
    Just a little clarification -

'Hindu' is not a language; its a religion. "Hindi", "Punjabi", "Bengali", "Marathi", "Tamil", "Telugu" ( are few of the huge number of languages spoken in India) - and trust me, all are different πŸ˜€
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well i speak english,hinglish,bengali,marathi and hindi....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    well i speak english,hinglish,bengali,marathi and hindi....
    hinglish [​IMG]

πŸ˜‰
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well tats the new lingo coming up in India!!!! m sure u must be using it too
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sauravgoswami
    well tats the new lingo coming up in India!!!! m sure u must be using it too
    I know 😁 its putting embedding Hindi words in English sentences πŸ˜€.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    You dont consider it to be a language???
  • gohm
    gohm
    English and German

partial ones: Spanish, Sanskrit, Hindi
  • Mrunalini
    Mrunalini
    Well I know English, hindi and Marathi.. πŸ˜€
    But that's not enough..
    Right??
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Gujarati,Hindi,English(Somewhat),Hinglish,BavaAngreji
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    Hindi, English,Punjabi,Haryanvi !!!
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Nobody knows the whole 28 languages of India?πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We have lot of CEans from Europe. Anyone knows Romanian, Polish ...
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    ankur8819
    Hindi, English,Punjabi,Haryanvi !!!
    Haryanvi is a dialect of hindi and does not have it's own text. It is written in devnagri. About 60% of the people living in Delhi can speak and understand it but still it is not a language.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    MaRo
    Nobody knows the whole 28 languages of India?πŸ˜€

i know no i no 😁
  • Sunnyrulz
    Sunnyrulz
    well i know Urdu, Punjabi(can understand well but cant speak fluently), English πŸ˜‰ and "Unglish"....same as "Hinglish"...!!
    commonly know as "Roman English" 😎
  • swati_akasheeni
    swati_akasheeni
    for me its-english,hindi and punjabi.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    English
    Hindi
    Marathi ...for me.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I know Tamil, English, Hindi and Japanese...

Well, I've just begun Japanese. It's really funny and weird..
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    English, Telugu, Tamil, Bahasa (Malaysian Language)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey, i have just entered 3rd year i am very much interested in doing mini project purely related to electrical so can you give me suggestions about how to succeed
So, that's a famous quote you'll spot on T-shirts all around the world! Let's give it some serious thought. Do you think education ruined you? Did it kill your creativity?...
How about collecting the best videos on YouTube? 😁 Here's my favorite YouTube Video : Canon Rock by FunTwo 😁
We had a very successful "CE T-Shirt" design contest few weeks back on CE. Do you have any crazy contest ideas that we can have on CE? Post them here!...
I overheard a discussion about this topic between two software engineers - and I thought it would be a nice discussion topic on CE πŸ˜‰ . Do you think revealing...