How Long Will It Takes For The Compact Discs To Die?

I know we still have lot of people from the Jurassic Age here on CE who still use compact discs. But the days of the old media are numbered. What do our CEans think about the complete white-wash of the compact discs? How long will it take? Why?

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    A few main factors make CDs (Optical Discs) better than Portable HDDs:
    1. They cannot be easily damaged. They are not affected by heat, magnetic or electrical radiation!
    2. They are cheap. The drive, as well as the discs are dead cheaper than a HDD.
    3. Less space consumption. You can stack about 10 discs where you can place only a single slim HDD.
    4. Durable. We cannot guarantee the working of HDD after falling a drop, but not optical discs!
    5. Support for view. We can view a CD in a DVD player to check its contents, in a jiffy, where a computer is not available, but this is not in case of a HDD!

Against DVDs, it is Cheap and Easily available, nothing else.

It might take another 2 - 3 years to eradicate all kinds of CDs... But at the same time, the Motherboard Manufacturers, Intel and AMD, gives their drivers on CDs, even for the latest i7 second generation processors!!! 😔 That's sick! 😛
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Cd's are only useful today because of finalize CD (content one wrote can't be manipulated) for drivers and DVD movies. Until and unless there will be some alternate way to have a very cheap such pendrives. CD's still alive.
    suppose you have some data to deliver to third party how do you prefer to send to him with only option CD and portable HDD. CD because content can't changed only can be damaged.Offices , For backup data, still rely on tape drive and CD/DVD who can't afford backup server.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    ianoop
    For backup data, still rely on tape drive and CD/DVD who can't afford backup server.
    CD itself is very old, but yeah, some folks still use Tape Backups!!! 😲

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ankit Fadia's ethical hacking courses are quite famous and a lot of engineering students write to us whether they should join the course or not. Upon asking few questions to...
The bad news has arrived for the Nokia Astound users on T-Mobile via twitter: Unfortunately the Nokia Astound on T-Mobile will not be updated to Nokia Belle. via Twitter. What...
Let's start the how to answer series for interviews that seems to be quite popular among the engineers on CrazyEngineers. One of the most commonly asked questions; which the students...

hi

hi im path from phillipines, i hope Ceans will help me and i will help also to the other thread
I'm stuck! The broadband connection from BSNL isn't working and I'm being forced to use the Idea 3G connection with on iPad to access CE and do the daily administrative...