How Is Intel's Smart Technology Different From Apple's Fusion Drive ?

There are so many articles saying that even though the Intel's Smart Technology & Apple's Fusion Drive sounds similar, but It ain't.
However, I am trolling blogs/forums for this since last few hours & couldn't find one single blog which can explain the difference in technical terms.

let's elaborate working of Intel's SRT & Apple's FD, then we'll differentiate it's property & method of carrying tasks.
So, here I call all the CEans interested in technical debate like topic & let's discuss why Intel's SRT is not equal to Apple's Fusion Drive.
( PS : Don't simply copy from other websites, CE Trolls are watching you! )

Replies

• Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    apple's FD combines a 128GB flash based solid state drive (SSD) with 1 or 3 TB hard drive..the SSD and the hard drive that comprise the FD comes as a single volume..]
    firstly Apple's FD is using more flash storage by packing 128GB of flash..but seagate's momentus XT only incorporates 4 to 8 GB of flash storage..
    secondly,the hybrid drives are using these flash storage as just cache...they treat the flash storage just as an extension of the cache..the most recently accessed data or the hottest data is stored into the flash first without any consideration for the nature of the data...but Apple is giving first priority to use the flash storage to things like files,programs and data that are most likely to boost the performance..
    i think the main difference lies in how the flash storage is being used...
    i would to like to see more discussion in this thread...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Your posts would be more readable if you could follow some basic text formatting rules.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Per my understanding, there are only two differences:
    - Fusion is implemented as a logical volume at OS level whereas SRT is device driver based solution
    - Fusion supports SSD upto 128GB vs Intel's support of upto 64GB

Compared to SRT's maximized mode, both technologies would give similar performance.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    More on Fusion drives,
    There was debate around whether FD is block based (promotes caching entire file) or File based (promotes only some part of file).
    However a testing was done, & it was noticed that Fusion drives uses File based only, which means : Consider I have 1 GB of data in FD which are frequently used, so when next time I will locate for that specific data in directory, the first part of data (around 10-20 MB) will be obtained from SSD side & rest of the data will be used from HDD side.

But still there's questions on whether the frequently used files, chunk files are moved or copied ? If this happens, then it clearly means that even chunk bits are moved, the same data is there in both locations i.e SSD & HDD which makes it a tiering technology & not cache technology. 😳

If you have older Macs, the one not shipped with Fusion drives & wanna D-I-Y Fusion drive for your Mac then here's the simple successful tutorial by Jollyjinx : #-Link-Snipped-#
    This is one awesome work by #-Link-Snipped-#.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yesterday, while coming back to home from college, I saw few kids on the streets were fighting. Being curious to know that what this new generation kids fight about &...
I am creating this thread here even though it's bit of technical thread related to Computers, Competitors shouldn't think that I am creating useless threads just to win. Overall, Our...
Ever thought of farm automation? Devon, from esologic.com loves tomato farming and his latest Raspberry Pi project allows for automation of the tomato farm. Well don't run your brains faster...
Wikileaks has applied to India to seek asylum for the man who exposed the governments - Mr. Edward Snowden. Snowden has acknowledged that he leaked the details of the United...
Tapping into one of the fastest smartphone markets, Japanese internet enterprise Line Corporation recently announced the launch its popular free-calling and messaging mobile app LINE in India, and its brand...