How Intel core i3 processor work logically as quad core?

Hi, guys I recently search details for i core processor made by Intel. I just got shocked when I know that core i3 and core i5 600 series processor are not really quad core, bur they are logically quad core. Now I am not able to understand how this thing happen, if it has physical 2 core then how it behave like quad core?

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    Just because they support Hyper-threading. All i-core processing technologies are capable of hyper-threading and hence they are superior in working to general multi-core processing engines because they take less space than multiple cores and can perform at same speed as multi-core does. If that is difficult for you to understand, feel free to ask. Happy Computing.
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Yes, I did not understand. Can you please explain it more.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    It just means that there will be two physical processors, and each will have 2 threads, meaning, each will be able to run 2 processes simultaneously.
    So, effectively, you can run 4 processes simultaneously using the two cores, and that's what is called Quad Core.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I heard that even AMD Dual Core can me made to work as quad core ?
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    English-Scared
    I heard that even AMD Dual Core can me made to work as quad core ?
    in a way, yes!
    its actually about unlocking the locked core in dual core such as phenom x2 550 be or 555be. they are actually dual core with 2 of their cores locked. some series of these processors can be successfully unlocked using a proper pairing of motherboard and hence can be converted into a working quad core for free. many people have done it successfully. similar thing can be done with tri core ones such as phenom x3 720 be.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    optimystix
    in a way, yes!
    its actually about unlocking the locked core in dual core such as phenom x2 550 be or 555be. they are actually dual core with 2 of their cores locked. some series of these processors can be successfully unlocked using a proper pairing of motherboard and hence can be converted into a working quad core for free. many people have done it successfully. similar thing can be done with tri core ones such as phenom x3 720 be.
    But you cannot be sure that you can unlock every dual core processor, right? And even if you do unlock it, you can't be sure that it's stable..
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Is this is possible in Amd Phenome Quad core processor?
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    I read many blogs and forums for understand hyper threading. But one thing is not clear to me, that how actually hyper threading work. Can any one explain this to me.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    jcksn
    Is this is possible in Amd Phenome Quad core processor?
    try to understand the fact. When AMD is making their quad core chips, the successful yield is very low. And to throw away the bad chips would be a waste of time and money. Thus they inspect these bad chips and find the ones which have atleast 3 good cores and 1 bad core. These ones are then selected, the one bad core is 'locked' and the chip is sold off as a tri core processor such as the AMD Phenom X3 720 BE. The ones which have 2 good core are then sold off(after locking the other 2 bad cores) as dual cores such as the AMD Phenom x2 555 BE.
    Note that these are perfectly working ones and not bad anymore as the bad cores have been locked. The above procedure reduces the yield loss and the company is being able to continue operating in profits(even after giving us the low price benefit).

But it has been seen among overclockers that certain series of these locked cores can be successfully unlocked and made to work as tri core or even as a quad core if used with a compatible motherboard.

And yes, the success is not guaranteed and even if core is unlocked, the stability needs to be checked using stress testing using any freely available software. But it has been seen that the success rate is generally very high. So one may try their luck. I tried one and got it successfully unlocked and tested it to be stable 😀

see #-Link-Snipped-# for more

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi,Guys. I have 3 hdd. On first I install windows 7 (main operating system), now on second hdd i install fedora 13. As i install Fedora 13 for learning and...
hello all,am currently in college studying to be an engineer,and am at the minute involved in a project on ocean energy,i am wondering if there is any entry level software...
Lot of people are hooked to social networks. There are people who spend more than 2-3 hours on Social Network doing almost nothing useful (meaning, productive). Do you think social...
will you please guide me for my project on credit card fraud detection using artificial neural network? and also tell me which programming language i should use for this projet??please...
hi...... I am searching for the details of KVP meters used in electrical systems. If anyone knows about KVP meters please help me........