How important is dress code for work?

There is a complete myth about dress codes.
I don't understand why dress codes play such important role in your work place.

Why do you think its important to have a dress code for work? what impact does it has on the way you deliver.

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    People will take you sincerely if you are in a business attire at a presentation. Just imagine you are attending a presentation, and the presenter is in a three forth and sleevless T-shirt. Will he be able to get the proper attention for the presentition? My personal opinion says, No he will not !!!

Similarly, to make the ambience nice and professional, Its necessary that there should be atleast some limits on the attire you are having. Otherwise there won't be difference between a fashion ramp and professional Presentation hall.

-CB
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    what's does my ragged jeans have to do with what I am trying to present? and why should some one observe dressing sense rather than not concentrating on what the person is saying?
    I am not arguing here, but just trying reason outπŸ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    To concentrate on what the person is saying, first we have to look the person, If the person's attire is very fashy and grandy, the concentration will be diverted automatically.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moved to debate.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Durga - Have you ever saw your MBA professor teaching in a class in shorts and Tees. Or Have you seen a CEO presnting a new product in sports attire???

I think never !!!

The rational behind that, for every occasion we expect the persion in relative attires. Example: a business meet, we do not expect the person with casual attire. Why this happens I am not sure? but surely it happens, that in a presntation we expect a person to be in business attire in place of sports wear.

-CB
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Sahiti,
    may be you are correct about being Flashy, but people generally don't come in flashy cloths to office. they come in cloths what they are comfortable in.
    if I am comfortable in Jeans and not in formals what is the sense in living with it through out 9 hours of work? the more comfortable you are at work, the more you dont get distracted. I can be in non-pressed cotton shirt as I feel comfortable in it, why should i waste my morning hours pressing cloths and trying to look better when I can invest same time in preparing for my presentation?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    well, you don't make presentations everyday!! But when you do, you should of course come in decent clothes. For regular work i don't think you need to come all suited up!!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    πŸ˜€ are we all in a mind set to follow what others do? Presentations is just a part of discussion.I agree you should be prensentable then. But why have dress code for work. if a presentation your common sense will tell you to dress right? Its not the only thing the discussion is about. I have this question poped up when I constantly see people ( leave alone managers) like solution designers who really give a damn to what they wear but when they speak you just know what is right! For eg:the guy next to me wears sports shoes where ever he goes irrespective of meeting , his logic "i feel good and i can concentrate on what i do". i am not talking about managers. Infact there are Project managers dressed up as sobely as possible but still make people listen to them when they speak.

For me it's more of a norm what people follow becasue people above them or people before them have done it.
  • viggnesh90
    viggnesh90
    Having a perfect formal dress code isn't that important when we make a presentation. Most of the people say dress code is the main aspect which portray's professionalism. They give more importance to that. It is what u present matters rather than how you are going to present it. Dress code is also important but it is not of the ultimate importance. We can also present in a dignified dress code when presenting which needn't be sleeveless etc. The person who's has so much of common sense to prepare and present a presentation won't be so foolish to present it with a sleeveless or any awkward costume😁.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    viggnesh90
    Having a perfect formal dress code isn't that important when we make a presentation. .
    I will suggest you to be a bit more affirmative when it means a lot here in CE.Your thought & opinion is incorrect as professionalism is all about how you present yourselve & what codes you maintain mostly during giving Presentation
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    obviously attire will reflect on the credibility of the person.
    i do not mean wearing suits daily or anything..... but what ever you wear you should look pleasing to the eyes.
    even if you want to wear jeans there are some good ones (plain dark blue ones do give a formal look) but surely not the ragged ones...
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Durga, you can check some other views on dress codes here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Well, thinking from the perspective of the wearer. Somehow, I find what I wear will help influence my outlook in the present situation. I personally find wearing something formal in a professional setting (such as meetings and formal dinners) helps me focus on the seriousness of my tasks. Whenever I wear casuals, I go into "relax" mode and not think about work. Same with when I'm wearing sports attire, I'd feel kind of active.

Attaching a specific fashion to the different tasks you do does help compartmentalize feelings. If you hate work, you'd only think about it when you are wearing your work clothes πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I think i am finally coming to a conclusion that it really depends on a individual on how we dress up.which again brings me to say" dont impose dress code, people will wear what they are comfortable in". As few of us are comfortable in formals and few of us are not!! So just becasue you need to 'look' professional and have a feel as a employer i quite dont think its justified to impose on your employees that they too come dressed up head to toe all days. OK accepted, you need to look presenatatble durign presentations, as many judge you by thier first look πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    In my old office I used to hate only one thing thats the dress code πŸ˜€

In New office the only thing I love is no dress code πŸ˜€

We dont have any dress code , It reminds of my graduation days where I used to wear one jeans per month sometimes semister.

Here just for a change I wear one jeans for a week.

I dont think dress code is needed for daily routine work ,but while in presentation we need to have a good look.
    But why?? I dont know that is how I was asked to come to give a presentation!!!

So I dont know why??
  • callyD
    callyD
    In my opinion, what you look like has very little to do with how you work. There are some exceptions obviously. If you are in public service, you should be neat and tidy, clean, and dress to the environment.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Crazyboy,
    I have πŸ˜€. Its more a question of what is acceptable norm. Places where casuals are accepted, people dress accordingly.

Durga,
    For giving a presentation, the first thing is to get accepted by the listener. Thus, it makes sense to adhere to the accepted norm. Hence the formals.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Dress code is not important but dressing according to the occasion is important,you cant go in a beachwear for a business presentation in a corporate office and similarly its not important to always wear a tie while business meeting!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OK, can we kill TCP sessions established between two computers?
This question might sound stupid to many of you , since I don't know answer for it It thought I would put forth. When we shut down system or our...
One of my all time favourite story (I got this around 4 years back, still its saved in my Inbox.): As my friend was passing the elephants, he suddenly stopped,...
please suggest me any theoritical project (related to modelling and simulation) in GAS LIQUID TWO PHASE FLOW...
CEans, Lot of our folks either love the coffee produced by the vending machines or they just hate it. This club is for everyone who either hates or loves the...