How does the inverter work when there is no electricity?

How does the inverter work when there is no electricity?

How does the inverter in my home work when there is no electricity?

An inverter is a device that converts direct current (DC) into alternating current (AC), the type of electricity that is used to power most appliances and electronic devices.

An inverter typically operates in conjunction with a power storage device, such as a battery or a set of batteries.

The energy stored in these batteries is in DC form. When your home or facility loses AC power from the grid (i.e., when there's a power outage or there's "no electricity"), the inverter begins its work.

Here's a basic outline of how this process works:

1. The inverter draws DC power from the batteries.

2. Using electronic circuitry (which may involve transformers, transistors, capacitors, and other components), the inverter converts this DC power into AC power.

3. This AC power is then supplied to your home or facility, allowing your AC-powered appliances and devices to continue operating despite the absence of grid power.

The inverter continues to perform this conversion process as long as there's sufficient DC power in the batteries.

Once the batteries are drained, the inverter will no longer be able to supply AC power unless the batteries are recharged or replaced.

Bear in mind that the specifics of this process can vary depending on the design of the inverter and the nature of your power system.

For example, some inverters are designed to operate with solar panels or wind turbines, which can continue to recharge the batteries even during a grid outage, as long as there's sufficient sunlight or wind.

Similarly, some inverters are part of "uninterruptible power supply" (UPS) systems, which are designed to provide emergency power for a short period of time to enable safe shutdown of critical equipment.

There are several other points I can cover regarding inverters and their operation during a power outage.

This includes the types of inverters, the features they offer, and some additional considerations regarding their use.

Types of Inverters:

There are mainly three types of inverters: square wave inverters, modified sine wave inverters, and pure sine wave inverters.

1. Square Wave Inverters: These are the simplest and least expensive type of inverter. However, they are also the least efficient and can produce a lot of electrical noise. These inverters are less commonly used today due to their inefficiencies.

2. Modified Sine Wave Inverters: These inverters are more efficient than square wave inverters and can work with most appliances. They are less expensive than pure sine wave inverters but can still cause problems with certain sensitive electronics.

3. Pure Sine Wave Inverters: These are the most efficient and reliable inverters. They produce an output that is nearly identical to the AC power supplied by the grid, ensuring that they can power virtually any appliance or electronic device without problems. They are, however, the most expensive type of inverter.

Features of Inverters:

Modern inverters come with a variety of features that can enhance their performance and usability. These may include:

1. Automatic Switching: Some inverters can detect when the grid power goes out and automatically switch to battery power, ensuring a seamless transition that prevents your appliances and devices from shutting off.

2. Power Factor Correction: This feature allows the inverter to adjust the phase difference between the voltage and current, improving the efficiency of the power conversion process.

3. Battery Charging: Many inverters are capable of recharging the batteries when grid power is available. This ensures that the batteries are always ready to supply power during a grid outage.

4. Remote Monitoring and Control: Some inverters allow you to monitor their status and control their operation from a remote location, using a computer or smartphone app.

Considerations for Using Inverters:

There are several considerations to keep in mind when using an inverter during a power outage:

1. Power Rating: The inverter's power rating, usually expressed in watts, determines how many and what type of appliances and devices it can power. Make sure your inverter has a sufficient power rating for your needs.

2. Battery Capacity: The amount of power that the inverter can supply is ultimately limited by the capacity of the batteries. Larger batteries can supply more power and last longer, but they also take up more space and are heavier.

3. Efficiency: The efficiency of the inverter, expressed as a percentage, determines how much of the battery power is converted into usable AC power. A more efficient inverter will be able to supply more power and drain the batteries more slowly.

4. Noise: Some inverters can produce electrical noise that interferes with sensitive electronics. This is less of a problem with pure sine wave inverters.

5. Maintenance: Batteries and inverters require regular maintenance to ensure their longevity and reliability. Always follow the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations.

6. Safety: Inverters can produce a dangerous amount of voltage and should be handled with care. Always follow the manufacturer's safety instructions when installing and using an inverter.

In conclusion, inverters can be a valuable tool in maintaining power during a power outage. By understanding the different types of inverters, the features they offer, and the considerations for their use, you can make an informed decision and choose the right inverter for your needs.

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    An electrical inverter, also known as a power inverter, is a box that converts DC electricity to AC electricity.
  • Vishwanath J
    Vishwanath J
    In CMOS inverter is made up of Depletion mode Transistor, Which works without an external bias as depletion layer is already will be formed, So using This technology Inverter could be on without External Bias... That is without electricity depletion mode inverter works. but not enhanced mode inverter...

Hope i am answered correctly! Anything else leave a reply.

Thank u...
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Simply Inverter is a device which converts DC supply into AC.
    while there is no electricity Inveter Takes supply from Battery and concerts it into AC source so our Home appliances can run on that energy.
  • rukku
    rukku
    shall i take this topic (ie;inverter ) as my final year project?
  • rukku
    rukku
    aarthivg
    An electrical inverter, also known as a power inverter, is a box that converts DC electricity to AC electricity.
    thank you friend
  • rukku
    rukku
    Vishwanath J
    In CMOS inverter is made up of Depletion mode Transistor, Which works without an external bias as depletion layer is already will be formed, So using This technology Inverter could be on without External Bias... That is without electricity depletion mode inverter works. but not enhanced mode inverter...

Hope i am answered correctly! Anything else leave a reply.

Thank u...
    thank you friend;you gave me good idea!
  • rukku
    rukku
    godfather
    Simply Inverter is a device which converts DC supply into AC.
    while there is no electricity Inveter Takes supply from Battery and concerts it into AC source so our Home appliances can run on that energy.
    thank you sir
  • vprlas.ankit
    vprlas.ankit
    inverter stored energy when there is electricity through capacitor and after storing when the there no electricity .it gives energy to the supply ......
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    rukku
    Whats your idea regarding your project? A low cost inverter as such??
  • Vishwanath J
    Vishwanath J
    vprlas.ankit
    inverter stored energy when there is electricity through capacitor and after storing when the there no electricity .it gives energy to the supply ......
    But the capacitor discharges energy as inverter goes off and it wont help the inverter in switching on.... The capacitor might drive another inverter but not the inverter it is connected too. If possible justify your answer and provide related document link from online or text...
  • Vishwanath J
    Vishwanath J
    rukku
    Actually Inverter is Basic component in VLSI... U can build some good circuits using inverter concept.
    Its not easy to do project in VLSI, u need some good tools available at your college. Els its costly to obtain VLSI tool privately...
    Think before u start project. What i suggest is start with Project using VERILOG...
    U ask ur Prof. how can u do a project using Verilog... Verilog is VLSIs Vast Branch in INDIA. Even if u do inverter using Analog tools, It might not help. So Plan for VERILOG course and do well...
    Verilog help ur career too...

All The Best...
  • rukku
    rukku
    vprlas.ankit
    thank you friend;hope u help me more
  • rukku
    rukku
    Vishwanath J
    Actually Inverter is Basic component in VLSI... U can build some good circuits using inverter concept.
    Its not easy to do project in VLSI, u need some good tools available at your college. Els its costly to obtain VLSI tool privately...
    Think before u start project. What i suggest is start with Project using VERILOG...
    U ask ur Prof. how can u do a project using Verilog... Verilog is VLSIs Vast Branch in INDIA. Even if u do inverter using Analog tools, It might not help. So Plan for VERILOG course and do well...
    Verilog help ur career too...

All The Best...
    friend;
    its nice idea u gave but i feel not clear;i am eee student and wish to do a small inverter of my own by the help of sun's energy because it is not sure that electricity stay for long period!
    so plz giv more ideas so i can form a group in my college and start my work
  • rukku
    rukku
    i wish to make an inverter which works with the help of trapping sun's energy!
    can i do it ?what are the steps !i didnt know whether it work out;but plz help me
  • rukku
    rukku
    aarthivg
    Whats your idea regarding your project? A low cost inverter as such??
    friend;
    i wish to make an inverter with solar energy ;now using electricity is more but can we make using other sources;
    my project i wish is "should be low cost and simple ,but a successful one;can u guide me?
  • Vishwanath J
    Vishwanath J
    rukku
    friend;
    its nice idea u gave but i feel not clear;i am eee student and wish to do a small inverter of my own by the help of sun's energy because it is not sure that electricity stay for long period!
    so plz giv more ideas so i can form a group in my college and start my work
    I just go with some materials and let u know. I need sometime... I dont have exact idea about your concept right now. May i know who gave u this IDEA!!!
  • rukku
    rukku
    Vishwanath J
    I just go with some materials and let u know. I need sometime... I dont have exact idea about your concept right now. May i know who gave u this IDEA!!!
    FRIEND
    NO ONE GAVE ME THIS IDEA ;PROMISE!
    I MYSELF THOUGHT;I DONOT KNOW WHETHER MY IDEA IS GOOD
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am not clear what you are attempting to do. Even now all solar photovoltaic energy generators use this concept. The solar panel develops a DC power, which charges a battery pack, which is converted to grid AC with inverters. This can be done with any DC source, whether solar or otherwise.

What is different about your project? Since solar power is so vaariable, it is not easy to convert it directly to grid AC power without introducing some buffer like a battery or capacitor bank in between.
    You can perhaps consider making a centre zero +/- Dc supply from solar panels, which is a trivial matter. Just connect them in series and ground the centre tap.
    You can use a power oscillator with MOSFETs to generate a 50 Hz sinewave out put. This can be stepped up using any transformer to any voltage. However, this will work only when there is sunshine and will have a variable output.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    rukku
    friend;
    i wish to make an inverter with solar energy ;now using electricity is more but can we make using other sources;
    my project i wish is "should be low cost and simple ,but a successful one;can u guide me?
    Rular solar street light project run on this.
    There is small inverter with battery on each pole which charged with solar energy and then provide light in night.
    Like this
    [​IMG]
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • aravindharaj
    aravindharaj
    rukku
    FRIEND
    NO ONE GAVE ME THIS IDEA ;PROMISE!
    I MYSELF THOUGHT;I DONOT KNOW WHETHER MY IDEA IS GOOD
    good. My friend has done a project using this same idea, by using solar energy small inverter model. I'll send his project softcopy, it will definitely helpful for you.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Inverter needs external current after some time when its battery discharged out completely.At that time how can it work without electricity.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    vikaskumar11233
    Inverter needs external current after some time when its battery discharged out completely.At that time how can it work without electricity.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I think the project is about charging the battery using solar energy
  • sen n thakkar
    sen n thakkar
    ankit is right. inverter have storage device which stored the energy as dc when electricity is there and when no electricity then give the conversion of dc into ac as our requirement. my question is that why we store the energy as dc?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    sen n thakkar
    ankit is right. inverter have storage device which stored the energy as dc when electricity is there and when no electricity then give the conversion of dc into ac as our requirement. my question is that why we store the energy as dc?
    Not really. Only a stanby supply needs a storage device. If one is willing to use the energy as soon as it is produced, a solar panel can use an inverter to give an AC output compatible with grid supply.
    All that an inverter does is to convert DC to AC of specified voltage.
  • rukku
    rukku
    aravindharaj
    good. My friend has done a project using this same idea, by using solar energy small inverter model. I'll send his project softcopy, it will definitely helpful for you.
    thank you friend;
    i m very happy to here it ;becoz no one to help me in projects;that time i saw this crazy engnrs;even i didnt think my ideas will work'but replies like this more confident;friend plz give me what i needed to do a well success project
    all day is beautiful friend!!!!!!
  • rukku
    rukku
    vikaskumar11233
    friend;
    your view is also correct;but my view is not using electricity ie;solar energy;we use inverter to get little bit current for sudden activities like studying;job which cnt be neglected like that;battery using should be with solar energy!!!!!!not the inverter which
  • rukku
    rukku
    we cant use ac as storage energy bcz in many fields we use dc supply;direct current is converted into alternating current;
    and also dc cannt be used in all appiliances
  • aravindharaj
    aravindharaj
    rukku
    thank you friend;
    i m very happy to here it ;becoz no one to help me in projects;that time i saw this crazy engnrs;even i didnt think my ideas will work'but replies like this more confident;friend plz give me what i needed to do a well success project
    all day is beautiful friend!!!!!!
    within two days you will get that 😀
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    rukku
    we cant use ac as storage energy bcz in many fields we use dc supply;direct current is converted into alternating current;
    and also dc cannt be used in all appiliances
    I think so, we cant store ac
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aarthivg
    I think so, we cant store ac
    If you consider the basics, an electric current is the flow of charge. A charge is not moving unless there is a potential difference. A capacitor is a device that can store charge. You cannot store current, since current implies movement. So storing alternating current is untenable.
  • rukku
    rukku
    i even now didnt get welllll idea;plz give a detail or just how ts working ;i got only principles from u r answers but not hte apt answer plz help me
  • rukku
    rukku
    aravindharaj
    within two days you will get that 😀
    friend
    then how i do it;i didnt have a good group friend
    is my idea a good project or not ; bcz i didnt know anything abt that!
    plz give details
    waiting 4 it
  • sen n thakkar
    sen n thakkar
    rukku
    friend;
    your view is also correct;but my view is not using electricity ie;solar energy;we use inverter to get little bit current for sudden activities like studying;job which cnt be neglected like that;battery using should be with solar energy!!!!!!not the inverter which
    then it not work. this ans is for the question..'when battery discharge then how inverter work???"
  • Shetty7879
    Shetty7879
    rukku
    how is the inverter works while there is no electricity?
    Inverters basically convert DC supply to AC supply.
    Hence when there is no electricity then INVERTORS converts DC battery supply to AC supply, on which most of our home appliances run.
  • Prakash Parmar
    Prakash Parmar
    just look out this...
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • rukku
    rukku
    Prakash Parmar
    just look out this...
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    friend ;
    i think there is no solar energy collector;or the energy storage device;
    just the circuit i can understand but my idea is not there that is collecting solar energy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rukku
    rukku
    ;friends-------------------------no one gave proper idea or details for my question
    why ???????
    feel tough;atleast share u r views
  • Prakash Parmar
    Prakash Parmar
    rukku
    ;friends-------------------------no one gave proper idea or details for my question
    why ???????
    feel tough;atleast share u r views
    what about this??
    soler%20ac%20supply
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear Rukku,
    Please view what bioramani sir has illustrated. He has given you some excellent matter to chew upon, and it is to be digested to figure out the answer to your question.
    When you hear the name 'inverter', what you imagine is that box you have near your computer, or near your mains(UPS - Uninterrupted Power Supply). Now, as engineers, lets get to know what an inverter really is!
    According to your question, you require to know what a power inverter is. Well a power inverter is a device used to convert DC into AC (To put it in simple terms.)
    These inverters commonly have two applications, one is for power back-up (UPS), and other is for conversion of power. However, in both cases, what they do is the same, converting DC into AC.
    In power back-up applications, we have a stand by battery connected to the inverter. The mains, before entering into your system (home, office etc), passes through this circuit. When the mains have power in them, the battery gets charged. When the mains are off, the inverter is activated. The inverter has a source of power, that is the battery, which gives u electricity in DC. This is converted into AC by the inverter and is injected into the system where the mains were used. Thus, we attain uninterrupted power.
    In solar energy applications, we consider the electricity from the solar panels as the mains, which gives you power in DC. The inverter just converts the DC to AC and supplies it to the system, just like it did in case of the battery. But, here the concept is not of back up, but it is of the main power supply.
    I know my post is a bit lengthy, please do let me know if there is any problem in understanding, or if you want to go into the details.
    P.S.- Do NOT go for a readymade project. If anyone is offering the readymade soft copy of anything, please do not accept it. Please do not ruin the spirit of Engineering. All of us can always discuss on things related to what you want, but you must be the leader, you must be the one who really WORKS for this project.
    I beg you, do NOT be an engineer-for-the-sake-of-it.
  • rukku
    rukku
    thanks alot friend;
    i will do the project sir ;now i am college friend and hosteller too so i check the mais weekly once so my reply is late friend;really u gave me a good respond even its lenghrply u deeply friend nw i have to go

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Will it be feasible to create an Ironman arc reactor?? i think it either use palladium cold fusion or a hot fusion reactor of small size can the reactor size...
what is the difference b/w vlsi and embedded branches?
Hi, Dear Friends... I have Pursued B.E in E&C and Masters in VLSI. But didnt get atleast Interview in any companies saying Fresher. So i am planning to set up...
hello to all my friends... my self soumik patra. i have just completed my 2nd year exam in B.tech Civil engineering. looking forward to carry on with. its all i...
Hi Can anyone please advice to do a ESD wiring diagram with maintenance override switch(MOS) logic?