How does blog theme/template affect traffic to the blog?

A lot of bloggers keep on changing blog themes/templates. Many do it for changing the look, but a lot other professional bloggers do it for the internal code.
Clean-looking blogs are easier to read and it's ultimately the content that defines the number of regular readers.

But how does a clean blog theme affect the traffic attracted to the blog?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Blog theme can affect traffic in several ways. Here are few major ones -

1. Overall look & feel: A blog template with everything cramped into limited space may not retain visitors and directly affects the 'returning' visitors. Returning visitors is a major component in any site's overall popularity.
    2. A poorly written template loads the server: If the template isn't coded correctly, it may unnecessarily load the server. Excessive use of Javascript can make the site slower.
    3. A poorly coded theme makes it difficult to maintain the blog layout. It may make additions/subtraction of features difficult.
    4. Search engines do not like poorly written code. If a blog template can produce clean HTML - search engines love it. E.g: Wikipedia.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I absolutely agree with biggie.

Badly coded pages are often punished by search engines on SEO front.

A template should be such that it should take least amount of time for the page to load completely. Many internet users are still on very slow speeds and one can't expect them to keep staring at their screens waiting for the page to load. It often irritates such users (me included).

A neat and tidy template along with less heavy elements is imperative towards helping drive more traffic to one's site.

Web based tools can help a lot in this. I use the ones mentioned below to keep the sites in good health.

Analyze - WebSiteOptimization.com (this one is very good, gives recommendations on site optimization too)

Website Speed Test | Pingdom Tools

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let's make a list of GD Topics for Infosys Campus Recruitment. I heard some of the topics from friends: Should India have dictatorship? Is India still a secular state? Reforms...
A paragraph from a book called Inside the Tornado by Geoffrey A. Moore goes as follow: Marketing, in the engineering universe, is that place where the laws of utility are...
Students from around the world who wish to study in Australia can now use their TOEFL test scores as part of their visa application as announced by Australia's Department of...
Mark Zuckerberg - when he's not building Facebook - likes to give himself personal challenges to "learn something about the world, expand my interests and teach myself greater discipline, he...
Here are some topics I know : 1 Is group discussion necessary for the elimination process 2 Who is responsible for the protection of the environment? 3 Retirement age of...