How does a ball pen and a gel pen work?

curious to know about this

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Surface tension of the ink forms a thin film of the ink on the ball. As the pen moves over the paper this film is deposited on it. The engineering is in allowing the ball to rotate,not get pushed into the reservoir and have just enough clearance so that the ink does not leak. Poorly made pens can leak ink around the ball as many a spoilt shirt can bear witness. The problem is that the pen has to work over a wide range of ambient temperatures. The formulation of the gel takes care of this.
    How does a ball point pen work? | HowStuffWorks

I remember in 1948 when the ball points were first sold in India at a huge cost. The company came house to house to demonstrate. They also gave a free book,'I chose freedom' by Victor Kravchenko with each pen. The pen, which was a novelty and not too good cost a present day equivalent of Rs.250.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The following video should help -

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I m a 7th sem et student. As a student of 7th sem i have to make a project. Well our group has a idea to make something like japan...
What is e-mail writing?how can i do this?Please give some ideas.
what are the frequently asked questions in interview?If they ask what is your weakness means how can i answer?what is the dress code for girls?
I'm doing final year,BE Mechanical Engineering.I'm interested in Frames and structures and I have designed some frames.I like to widen my scope.So can anyone suggest me any relevant in any...
A mechanical engineer from IIT Bombay, Xitij Kothi hails from Vadodara, Gujarat. His dad a civil engineer and mother a mathematics teacher, Xitij was brought up in an environment where...