How do you develop tilted buildings?

Hey guys, I saw some pictures of buildings and there were some of them with an unusual shape. Also in many movies we see buildings whose shapes are completely distorted. These buildings may be inclined up to some angle, or might be of variant shapes. For instance take the Sydney Opera.

My question is What concept is applied while constructing such buildings so that they remain perfect structures. Are such buildings safe from earthquakes and other disasters?

Please Help me understand this concept.'

For reference, you can use this building:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Movies are always fantacy filled subjects and yet a tilted building should consist stable foundation and base.Take pisa tower for instance:its a building built only straightbut it inclined due to some problems.I dont think without a stable base we cant produce a tilted building.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Tilted building is not the concept that evolved overnight.
    Tilted buildings are existed since long, these are pretty safe (when all the constraints are taken care while designing).

Modern tilted structures are pretty much seismic resistant, when building tilts towards one angle, the forces while designing are computed accordingly.

Being a structure design engineer by engineering, I have never designed such a building however read few design articles and the force computations (air pressure, earth centrifugal, seismic, Building self weight, gravitational force are just a few out of many) that needs be taken care.

Let me know if you have any specific question, I will try to answer using my limited theoretical design knowledge.

-CB
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    My actual doubt is, If you build two buildings, one is normal-straight the other is titled- lets say about some 10-20 degress vertically. And if there is a natural calamity occuring at that place. An extremely grave and disastrous one. So which one will be more likely to fall first?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Preferably tilted towers are not advisable, in the areas that are marked in seismic Zone 3-4. However, I know this is not the justification to say that these towers are prone to disaster in adverse conditions.

As the tower is tilted in design, the architecture leaves more space for bearing the adverse impact of calamities, also construction material used in design supports more robustness. If you want to compare, with a proper design both types are design to make it safe.

Still, to answer your question, there are chances that tilted building will have more harm in disastrous conditions.

-CB
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Tilted buildings are stable only if the centre of their gravity is well within the base of the building. If the intensity of the impact can anyway affect the CG then your building will tumble
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Titled buildings cannot be designed without keeping the CG well within the base, that is for sure. It is just the outer look of the building, the outer filling that gives it shape. Do you think the internal architecture does not get distorted due to irregularity in space allocation? Creating a flat environment with proper positioning of pillars and that too in a floor shape of a kite. That seems fishy.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Go to https://www.mddionline.com/dare-dream-medtech-challenge to submit your medtech device and upload your files • In 150 words or less, describe how your device works. • In 150 words or less,...
Hey guys I'm currently trying to know how engineers perceive their outcomes by working at home and I need your opinion. Therefore as an engineer, what are the main outcomes...
As we all know , to run a vehicle in a good condition over a long life time requires a good maintenance but how far it is possible to regularly...
ZTE, the Chinese telecommunication giant, is now going to sell the Open Firefox OS smartphone in the United States (US) and Britain. Going on to sell through eBay in the...
One of my blog readers wrote the following and I asked him whether it's okay to reply to his questions via our Entrepreneurship / Startups section. He agreed. I'm posting...