how do i make my electromagnet stronger...

i am doing a robot and one part of it is an electromagnet meant for lifting ferromagnetic materials and dropping it at some other place, and for this i decided to buy an electromagnet so a to avoid any mistakes but the one i bought did not have the power i wanted.

it has a hole in the center where the field is concentrated so it can lift weights only if it is passed through the center which is not possible in my case. so some one told me to pass a small rod of iron into it and the iron will get magnetised and can lift weights.i did that and the situation is better but not awesome. 😐

the magnet i'm using is operated at 24 volts, but some one suggested that instead of using two batteries in series if i put them in parallel it might give more power (and of course more heat too!), i'm not sure though...

any one has any ideas?

Replies

• shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Can you increase the turns of the coil?That should increase the flux linkage. And I'm not sure how placing batteries in parallel will help you. Are you connecting two 24V batteries in parallel?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I think you are connecting two 12V batteries in series. Don't alter the connection. Just increase the number of turns. You will get what you want. Have fun.
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    shreyasm89
    Can you increase the turns of the coil?That should increase the flux linkage. And I'm not sure how placing batteries in parallel will help you. Are you connecting two 24V batteries in parallel?
    i'm using two 12 volt batteries in series to give a total 24 volts power

aj_onduty
    I think you are connecting two 12V batteries in series. Don't alter the connection. Just increase the number of turns. You will get what you want. Have fun.
    the thing is as i said i'm using a ready-made electromagnet so i think increasing the number of turns is not possible but i am using a u shaped iron bar in the center of the EM so can i make some turns in the iron bar? will that work? πŸ˜’

any way thanks for you response guys πŸ˜€
  • freak16
    freak16
    If you connect the batteries in parallel it will incresae current so the losses increses and hence the heat but at the same time the mmf will also increase and hence the Flux which increase the flux linkage.
    where MMf = I*N
    where N= number of turns
    I is the current
    \so you can go for that.
    because assuming
    .no saturation of core MMF= Flux * reluctance.
    You cannot vary the reluctance as it ready made but you certainly increase the mmf to increase the flux
  • Arp
    Arp
    i dont suppose operating voltage in parallel across electromagnet will help u. as voltage is still remains the same of one battery. even as two battery in practice can never have exactly same voltage so lot of circulating current i can expect which may damage it and if not even then due to internal resistance drop in battery which increase due to circulating current, current decrease furthur.]
    increase no. of turns or operate more batteries in series(with correct polarity), this increase current in winding and hence its power.
    but at the same time u should also consider the winding max cuu\rrent handling capability. given 24V means u should not increase batteries so u have to increase number of turns per unit length to inc force(this again may have the insulation prob between winding), so i suppose it is not practical to inc force too much
  • freak16
    freak16
    Arp is rite.
    I forgot to mention about circulating current. and so go for batteries in series only😲

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

respected friends, please sent me the papers related to renewable energy mostly using renewable waste
helllow friends, 😎 i'm a BCA Student, here 2 learn frm u all, making friends........so plzz add me 😎 😁😁 Glad 2 join here 😁😁
hello guys, need ur help πŸ˜• , i'm learning javascript, so 2 learn it in bttr way i hv want 2 make small projects or Applications, if u have any...
Entrepreneurship is one field where most of us are hesitant to take up. It takes a lot of guts to take the road less travelled –that of entrepreneurship. and Kurukshetra...
In the beginning televisions were made from CRT (Cathode Ray Tube), then came the era of flat screen, LCD, Plasma, LED and now we can say virtual screens also. Watching...