How do engineers study? + How should engineers study?

There are tons of different ways of studying. What works well for one, may not be good for the other at all. And when we take the Engineering subjects into consideration, for different branches there are always some topics which aren't easy to grasp.
To take a general idea of what are the typical trends in studying, I would like to ask all the engineers here - what is there preferred mode of studying? It could be self-study, study during lectures, studying for exam preparations - both theoretical and practical.
Please speak out your methods of studying here.
I am sure the CEans will have all sorts of different approaches to attacking the engineering books and internet material.

Since what an engineer does is 'practical' and 'technical' in every sense, should there be way how an engineer should study - Say a list of DOs and DONTs.

Eagerly waiting for replies here. ๐Ÿ‘

Replies

• sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    I prefer to attend lectures as much as I can coz the topics studied in class are easily remembered by me.

Since in engineering colleges whole syllabus isn't taught by the professors so self study referring various books and then discussing with friends helps a lot.

Even if some one hasn't studied the whole semester but studying just before the practical exams covers the complete syllabus for theoretical exams and the most important factor for me is discussing with friends.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I was always a loner. Andhra university is right on the sea side with lonely beaches. Excellent for book study. For practicals, it has to be hands on. Here seniors doing PhD help. Curiosity may have killed the cat but makes engineers. In return for some manual help seniors helped out putting one straight.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I would say the following are good for any Engineer
    • Listen to lecturers ideas ( Never depend 100% on them)
    • Pry through some standard books ( They are hard only if you don't listen to lecturers)
    • Self equipping is the best in most cases
    • Feel free to ask your doubts when they strike your head (Never be ashamed about asking)
    • Group study is an effective solution when preparing for problematic papers. (Be chosy about your group mates)
    • Theoretical papers need mostly self preparation as there is no point in doing group study
    • Have friends who are assets and not liabilities
    Most of all never get scared of your exams.

Just have PURE FUN while facing your SEMESTER

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you are a non-engineer reading this site, your brain must've come across this question at least once. If you're thinking of becoming an engineer and everyone tells you that...
If you're an engineering college student who apparently hasn't fell in love with Maths or are having a hard time getting past the basic equations, brackets, derivatives, integrations, calculus etc....
Aakash 2 might not have made it to your hands yet but Aakash 3 is already being developed at IIT-Madras. Professor Ashok Jhunjhunwala is heading the development of A-3 and...
Nowadays, the term shopping has been redefined. You don't have to be at a mall or a store to do shopping. If you have access to the internet, shopping can...
I am working on my major project on Smart Grid. But its very big area and i am confused over which part i will choose for the major like generation,...