How data gets hidden?

My pen drive and my phone's memory card were detected by malware, after scanning all the data in them was still not visible or was hidden. In my computer the occupied space and free space were showing properly but data was not shown after opening these both flash drives.
I rebooted by system and checked these flash drive in linux what I found that there was a folder with no name and after double clicking it all my data in those flash drive was visible to me I copied all the data from both the flash drives and kept on my local hard drive, reformatted the flash drives and put them back and then I was able to see all my data normally as earlier.
Only thing which hits my mind after removal of malware why the data was not visible and how could have the malware done so. Does this also happens to the data on local drive too or only on flash drive? and how data was visible in linux?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    pradeep.pawar
    Only thing which hits my mind after removal of malware why the data was not visible and how could have the malware done so. Does this also happens to the data on local drive too or only on flash drive? and how data was visible in linux?
    Because it changed the file attributes of your all the files, Linux uses different attribute to get whether a file is hidden or not.
    In command prompt navigate to your pen drive
    and run following. (hope your attrib shell file is not corrupted.)
    attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* 
    What this command is doing see on #-Link-Snipped-#
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Anoop Kumar
    Because it changed the file attributes of your all the files, Linux uses different attribute to get whether a file is hidden or not.
    In command prompt navigate to your pen drive
    and run following. (hope your attrib shell file is not corrupted.)
    attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* 
    What this command is doing see on #-Link-Snipped-#
    thanks Anoop but can you tell me what attributes are exactly and how it changed?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As promised, here's the first ever 'behind the scenes' blog post on all the happenings at CrazyEngineers. In December 2013; we received an invite from the organisers at Visvesvaraya National...
ArthaKranti - a Pune based organisation has been proposing an alternative to the flawed taxation system in India. The proposal simplifies the entire taxation system to just on type of...
Hello everyone. I am Aditi. I did B.Tech in ECE in 2011. after that I worked at IIT Delhi as Project Associate for 8 months. I am interested in networking....
I think Playstation 4 is now available in most of the regions across the world. I'm curious to know how many of you have bought the Playstation 4 and how's...
Tata Nano - the people's car is back in 2014 with a power steering. Yep, today the Tata's have launched the new variant of the best mileage small car with...