How can I increase the friction between the metal angle to the wooden board?

unnamed
Hey, for a project at school (with solidworks) , I am making an angle that holds two boards at an angle of ninety degrees under pressure.
(sketch Included)
How can I increase the friction between the metal angle to the wooden board?
what material should i use for it?
right now i only managed to make it that it can hold only wooden boards that are the same size, i need an idea how to change it so that it can hold too board that are different sizes?

and if you have any other helpful suggestions that would be wonderful

thanks

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1. If the nut in the angle engaging the tightening screw in the angle is on a pivot so that it can swivel in an axis perpendicular to the plane of the angle it can tighten unequal boards.

2. place a thin rubber sheet between the board and the angle to increase friction. Alternatively, providing parallel serrations in the mating faces of the board and the angle perpendicular to the direction of potential movement will also help. You can even do both together.
  • kali markram
    kali markram
    thank you so much.
    do you have an idea about what kind of material we should use?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    kali markram
    do you have an idea about what kind of material we should use?
    That would depend on the strength and use (indoors, outdoors, adverse atmosphere and such)cast iron or cast aluminium seem workable.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

At the CES 2016 event today, Lenovo and Google jointly announced that a new smartphone which leverages Project Tango is on the cards. Google had been working on Project Tango...
The global networking products manufacturer TP-Link has its own smartphone brand called 'Neffos' and now it features three new smartphones, namely - C5L, C5 and C5 Max. Running atop Android...
Intel has recently launched its new developer phone , the 'Intel RealSense Smartphone' at the CES 2016 held in Las Vegas, Nevada. Priced at $399, it is already up for...
Researchers from China have created a new material that can convert atmospheric carbon dioxide into clean fuel. The material is made of partially oxidized cobalt layers, and carries out the...
Pushing 77, obviously late for me. May be in good time for many CEans. Quote: Your 20s are the time when you lay the foundation for your career and finances,...