[Hoax] Chinese City Gets Cell Phone User Lane: Are We Facilitating Cell Phone Addiction ?

It’s no big news that the Chinese love their gadgets, but have they pushed their obsession a little too far this time? The Chinese city of Chongqing has demarcated a sidewalk on the Foreigner Street for cell phone addicts. While this might seem like a good idea at first like the cell phone row in a theatre, #-Link-Snipped-# has pointed out a fundamental flaw in the system by citing an experiment executed by National Geographic. In the experiment they divided sidewalk in Washington D.C into two parts by writing “No Cell phones” in one half and the other half they wrote “Cell Phones: Walk In This Lane At Your Own Risk”. As expected the people who were starting at their smartphones completely missed these signs. So dividing lanes and putting signs on them like one below is not a good idea. We would like to point out that the news is based off random Twitter posts and may not even be true.

CellPhone Lane

Image Courtesy: #-Link-Snipped-#​

Considering the increase in smartphone sales, it is not unusual to see more people in the roads and sidewalks being distracted by their smartphones. I encounter a couple of these people every time I head out of home. Cell phone addiction is a bad thing and are we facilitating this by giving people amenities which are unnecessary? Give your opinion in the comment section below.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    We have found that the aforementioned development is a prank, the signage for the cell phone lane is a walkway in a Chinese theme park called Yangren Jie, or "Foreigner Street,".
    Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

I would like to apologize and promise to double check the sources before publication of even a non-VoiCE post like this.
    PS: We have made the changes to the thread's title to avoid future confusion.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We're looking to hire kickass (we mean it!) developers who eat, slip & poop PHP. We want you to be exceptionally skilled in developing applications using Zend Framework. Since the...
In order to make any electronic device smarter we need internet. This idea gave way to the concept of “Internet of Things” which can be defined as interconnection of uniquely...
So I built a proof of concept app: https://rti.iavin.com Basically, it lets people anonymously submit RTI requests and anonymously fund it. What do you think of this idea? Its functional,...
European Space Agency (ESA) had deployed an unmanned space observatory, Gaia, in July for constructing a precise three-dimensional space catalog of about 1 billion astronomical objects, predominantly stars. For this...
If you do not find this topic suitable under Debate mastermind than you are not Crazyengineer.