History of Hacking

Indeed there were other relevant stories associated with the History of Hacking.Here are few of them that are well known.

John Drapper also known as Captain Crunch is known as one of the early hacker of the information system. It was a period of 1970's. He is known as Phone Phreaker ( The art and science of cracking the phone network ). John got Captain Crunch whistle that used to create 2600 Hz frequency to make the telecom switches to operate and allow them to have free phone calls. John drapper later developed a Blue Box that generated different frequencies which the telephone company devices used to consider that the sound was generated by their switching equipments. They used it for free international call using blue box. Also they used a technique known as social engineering to talk to Telephone company employees and gather information they needed from the telephone company from time to time. A red box is phreaking device that generates tones to simulate inserting coins in pay phones, thus fooling the system into completing free calls. The only intention is to do free phone calls.During those days making an international phone call was a luxury.

Kevin Mitnick is another well known name in Hacking world. He got unauthorized access to his first computer network at 16, the computer system Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC). Mitnick gained unauthorized access to dozens of computer networks while he was a fugitive. Mitnick also intercepted and stole computer passwords, altered computer networks, and broke into and read private e-mail. He has been arrested by FBI after a long time and has been charged with list of criminal acts. He is now working as a Computer security consultant. He is known to as master of social engineering.

There are many other names like Kevin Poulsen who blocked all telephone lines to radio station to win a prize so that he can be the only person who can call the radio station.Robbert Tappan Morris who developed one of the very first worm viruses on the internet, This worm eventually caused many thousands of dollars worth of damage and “loss of productivity” in late 80s. Jonathan James is also a known hacker who broke into NASA computer system network.
Adrian Lamo's is a person known for his break-ins at major organizations like The New York Times and Microsoft. There are many more who actually broke into others computer systems.

Though in day to day language we use a terminology Hacker for every kind of hacking activities that takes place but the Hackers community as a whole can be divided into categories. Let us categorize different types of hackers as per the ethics and principles they follow,

a) Black Hat
b) White Hack
c) Grey Hack
d) Hactivist

a) Black Hat Hacker: Blackhat hacker is one that breaks into a system with malicious intent.

b) White Hat Hacker : Also known as Ethical Hackers. Generally they are the people who find out and exposes the loopholes in the system so that they can be addressed.

c) Grey Hat Hacker: A grey hat hacker is someone who is in between Blackhat and Whitehat hackers. He uses his skills for legal purpose such as assisting security agencies.

d) Hactivist: It is an act of cracking or hacking into a system for social or political cause or reasons.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Phone hacking was even popular in the silicon valley in 1970s. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak mentions how he and his friends would setup telephone lines and make free phone calls. Wozniak had even become a part of the tech-prankers who'd use electronic tricks to get tap into telephone lines. I've seen the John Drapper episode on Discovery - it's must watch.

#-Link-Snipped-# : Grey Hat Hacking is a profession these days (if I'm not mistaken). Can we expect more on this in your forthcoming articles?
  • Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    The_Big_K
    Phone hacking was even popular in the silicon valley in 1970s. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak mentions how he and his friends would setup telephone lines and make free phone calls. Wozniak had even become a part of the tech-prankers who'd use electronic tricks to get tap into telephone lines. I've seen the John Drapper episode on Discovery - it's must watch.

#-Link-Snipped-# : Grey Hat Hacking is a profession these days (if I'm not mistaken). Can we expect more on this in your forthcoming articles?
    Yes, I am planning to publish all the relevant details regarding the topic, including Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security aspects. It should be a long story to come.
  • Chinu1
    Chinu1
    Hello... I m also interested in Ethical Hacking. Please tell me how i can learn individually.
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    Chinu1
    Hello... I m also interested in Ethical Hacking. Please tell me how i can learn individually.
    if you have good knowledge of computer system and networking and the attitude of hacker then there are many institute in India, offer ethical hacking course.
  • Chinu1
    Chinu1
    if you have good knowledge of computer system and networking and the attitude of hacker then there are many institute in India, offer ethical hacking course.
    Can i read Through Books... If yes, then please tell me the name of books.
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    Chinu1
    Can i read Through Books... If yes, then please tell me the name of books.
    there are many books of many author. you can search on the net. there are many books of hacking of Indian No 1 hacker Ankit Fadia 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Scorpion007
    there are many books of many author. you can search on the net. there are many books of hacking of Indian No 1 hacker Ankit Fadia 😀
    Who says Ankit Fadia is #1 hacker in India? Maybe you should follow this discussion on CrazyEngineers: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    The_Big_K
    Who says Ankit Fadia is #1 hacker in India? Maybe you should follow this discussion on CrazyEngineers: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Ok then tell me who is India's No.1 Hacker
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Scorpion007
    Ok then tell me who is India's No.1 Hacker
    Depends on what's the criteria for selecting the hacker. Maybe we should call the hacker who hacked Ankit Fadia's website as the #1 hacker? 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How can we overcome the problem 503 service unavailable in opening the website... can anyone have its solution then kindly explain it..
Every few months, you'd hear the news that several thousand people were duped by a crook who promised to double people's investment in flat 6 months. The modus operandi of...
Love Windows? Love Internet Explorer? Don't have money and time to download the Windows 8? You will now be able to download IE 10 for Windows 7. Internet Explorer's latest...
Name : Syed Mohamed Ishaq​Engg Trade : B.E. Mechatronics Engineering.​From : kanyakumari, TamilNadu, India.​Occupation : fresher @ TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES LIMITED, India.​Hobbies : making manual small scale robots and toys​Aim...
Wish u a very happy n prosperous diwali 😀 Enjoy 😀