High effiency,,,,Is it so high? Fades, feelings and reputations

High efficiency,,,,Is it so high? Fades, feelings and reputations

I was on a job in a pump room of a hotel. A large hotel and I had two pump sets side by side
symmetrical piped to a tee. Inherently balanced.
One pump had failed. It failed because someone had jumped out the current overload protection
in the motor starter assembly.
But that's not the bases of my discussion.
The thing I was able to judge was the mfgr's claim of a "high efficiency motor." What is high efficiency?
What constitutes the right of the mfgr to claim and charge higher prices for a new and improved
"High efficiency " motor.
It's like the food industry, no real oversight and accountability of claims. This is what I found.

The owners wanted the better motor so as to save money in the years to come. So I purchased
the identical motor but in a high efficiency model. Installed it and compared the operation of both
pump sets to each other. The older worn down motor of 15 yrs out preformed the new high efficiency
motor by 10%, Hmmm Ouch. Why?
It was bigger. It look better. I paid a premium.
But as the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding.

So after you design something and it's in the field being commissioned get up off your butt and
actually compare the performance of the systems actual field operation to your paper intent of operation.
The application on paper while wrought with sound engineering designs is based on mfgr spec's and
industry claims that may not be true.
Now you've built an over priced inefficient system. An application of specifications that claims to be the
future of things.

Engineering design applications moves on fades, feelings and reputations.
Not reality. Be very careful. and be very real in your reality of reality. And don't trust the
mfgr claims in their entirety.
Well, If you want to be the best in your prospective fields. Then again who really knows and
who cares.Right!
Well, I do and that's why I am the best.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : This project helps to increase the quality of air and its pressure @ the intake level to enhance the performance of IC engine. The control...
As you know things burn out and even blow up when the devices intermix. True for the most part but I wonder sometimes. I was working as a young engineer...
Is there another energy out there not being acknowledged? I have a building that I am using as a test laboratory. It's a chiller that lost one of the two...
Hi frnds, Here's the way to reduce your weight fastly and easily. No need to skip the breakfast, Meals and Dinner. Do half an hour exercise twice a day is...
Why is a boiler only legal unattended up 15# of steam. What are the magical property of this life giving substance called Water that we take for granted? That thing...