Help with a materials engineering project in the university

Dear readers and colleagues,

We are Materials Engineering students at Ben Gurion University in Israel.
In our studies, we have a project which we need to do in Solid Works.

We decided to build a stick that helps cleaning high places such as door lintels.

Our idea is to put a small water container inside the handle of the stick, and with some kind of a straw or pipe to withdraw the water on the other side, where we will add a rag.

As first year students, we don't have enough knowledge about the materials and the mechanical systems that we can use in order to build that.

We have two main dilemmas:
1- What kind of straw should we use that will be elastic, flexible and durable (we want the customer to change the length of the stick as needed)?
2- Which mechanism should we use in order to withdraw the water from the container to the rag (the handle should be in the lower part of the stick and the water will exit from the top side)?

Of course we will be more than glad to hear more ideas and possible ways to improve our product.

Thank you in advance!
פרויקט יוגין

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1. A one litre hand garden sprayer can be used for storing and dispensing water/detergent solution. This can easily handle upto three to five meters height.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

2. use a plasticised pvc small bore tubing similar to the ones used for delivering fluids or draining in medical applications for connecting the sprayer to the swab at the top. This has a proven long life of many years.

3. Devise a spring winding mechanism for coiling and uncoiling the delivery tube depending on the height of the pole at use time.
    Alternatively a coiled tube may be used instead of the above to reduce costs and weight.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    (NOTE: If you apply a wet mop to a dusty area you may only makes things worse in smearing the muck as an adherent coating. Better to use a dry cleaning operation first followed by the wet wipe.)
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi All,

As per your project idea, you can buy a telescopic Rod (for fishing or even for House keeping.)

Kindly check the below link for your information.
  • Amit Benasayag
    Amit Benasayag
    First of all thank you for your answers.
    You inspired us with some great ideas. We will build some pulley and wrap the "straw" on it when the stick will be "closed".
    About the sprayer, we'll check how to add that mechanism to our pole.
    Thanks again for your answers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

At the Mojave Air and Space Port in California, Virgin Galactic will unveil the second of its SpaceShipTwo series on February 19th this year. If his health permits, famed scientist...
Folks, Glad to be a part of Crazy Engineers. Name: Raagavan *Engineering Trade: Information Technology Location: Bangalore *Occupation: Freelance content writer Work Experience: 1 year with Dell as Tech support...
Twitter is now considering removal of the default 140 character limit for tweets with new 10,000 characters limit. Twitter's CEO has expressed his opinion through an image attached to a...
i'm having difficulty in iterfacing four pic controllers with arm7 processor or want increase the serial comm ports of arm7(needs tx-rx four pairs). please suggest me possible ways of multiprocessor...
Hi, I took CDAC CCAT examination in December 2015, and my rank in section A is 2156 and section A+B is 2734. Which center can I get according to this...