Help Needed for MS!!!!

Hi i am Third year engineer doin electrical and electronics engineering . I want to go for my ms in electrical engineering but can decide which area to specialize in. I am considering the following 3 options
1)VLSI Design
2) Embeded Systems
3)Communication Engineering
Well what i want to know are what the future job options/profiles if i decide to any of the above mentioned subjects. I was thinking of VLSI design but then someone pointed out that it is a real niche field and that finding a job after MS will be very difficult.
Further if someone who is persuing or is working more in these fields could tell me more about them so i can make my choice i would highly appreciate it.

Replies

• crook
    crook
    Mayhem
    Hi i am Third year engineer doin electrical and electronics engineering . I want to go for my ms in electrical engineering but can decide which area to specialize in. I am considering the following 3 options
    1)VLSI Design
    2) Embeded Systems
    3)Communication Engineering
    Well what i want to know are what the future job options/profiles if i decide to any of the above mentioned subjects. I was thinking of VLSI design but then someone pointed out that it is a real niche field and that finding a job after MS will be very difficult.
    Further if someone who is persuing or is working more in these fields could tell me more about them so i can make my choice i would highly appreciate it.
    Hi !

All 3 areas which you have selected are HOT these days. Let us try to imagine situation after three years from now. Looking at the past & current trends, VLSI has to be there. This would the best pick, according to me.

Embedded systems - finding a job can be a bit difficult, in my opinion. I think CEan pradypop owns a company that deals in embedded systems. So you can wait to get an answer from him.

Telecommunication Engineering - This is the future. I do not have much knowledge of this field though.

I think you shouldn't worry about which branch to go for, at this stage. You still have an year to go and you have ample time to decide. Let us now wait for better answers.
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    It seems that you have one year to go. I do not think that finding a job after doing Masters is going to be difficult. Lot of companies are jumping into VLSI and the VLSI is going to be hot for next 2 decades at least.

However, I'd recommend a career in embedded systems engineering. Its a really exciting field. Dig out information about embedded systems and let me know what you think.
  • Mayhem
    Mayhem
    Well as far as i have found out there are 2 sides to embedded systems engineering
    1) Software :- where the programming is done basically in java
    2) Hardware
    what i want to know is how big is the hardware part i mean does the industry involve the software part as the major chunk or is hardware design a equally developing field. Crook had mentioned in his reply that there is a CEian who owns a embedded systems company , can i request this CE ian and the others to give me a better insight into this matter?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mayhem
    Well as far as i have found out there are 2 sides to embedded systems engineering
    2) Hardware
    what i want to know is how big is the hardware part i mean does the industry involve the software part as the major chunk or is hardware design a equally developing field. Crook had mentioned in his reply that there is a CEian who owns a embedded systems company , can i request this CE ian and the others to give me a better insight into this matter?
    Yep, CEan - Sujatha works in embedded systems. We also have pradypop who founded a company that works in embedded systems and VLSI too. I have already requested them to reply, but it seems that they are too busy to log on. But that shouldn't be a problem. We'll make sure that you get right advice from right people.

Just hold on for some more time, I hope that shouldn't be a problem 😀

-The Big K-
  • Mayhem
    Mayhem
    The_Big_K
    Yep, CEan - Sujatha works in embedded systems. We also have pradypop who founded a company that works in embedded systems and VLSI too. I have already requested them to reply, but it seems that they are too busy to log on. But that shouldn't be a problem. We'll make sure that you get right advice from right people.

Just hold on for some more time, I hope that shouldn't be a problem 😀

-The Big K-
    Thank you for your efforts Big_K. And yes i will definately hold on for some more time to get the reight advice.Thanx again.
  • vihangas
    vihangas
    Mayhem
    2) Hardware
    hi Mayem,
    I work in Embedded system. Embedded hardware includes board desiging. It is very hard core work and very less companies in India work for it. But it's gives you more core knowledge of technology than software. very less part of embedded software use java as comapred to assembly and c. software part includes writing OS,firmare for diffrent application.
    Let me know if you need more help
    chao
    vihang
  • Mayhem
    Mayhem
    vihangas
    hi Mayem,
    I work in Embedded system. Embedded hardware includes board desiging. It is very hard core work and very less companies in India work for it. But it's gives you more core knowledge of technology than software. very less part of embedded software use java as comapred to assembly and c. software part includes writing OS,firmare for diffrent application.
    Let me know if you need more help
    chao
    vihang
    Hey vihang,
    thanx for your reply could u enlighten me more about embedded hardware cos thats where i am looking to go.If you could tell me more about the job profile of a embedded hardware engineer that would be great.Furthermore would you suggest doin a course in computer architechure with a few subjects in embedded design as the rt course of action to persue a carrier in this field? Moreover could you tellme which are the few companies in India who are working in embedded hadware?
    thanx a ton
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Posting the reply on Sujatha's Behalf -
    ---------------------------------------------

Hi Mayhem,

I got lil late in giving reply as i was a bit busy. Thanks to BIG_K to remind this by sending mail. K lemme start to give reply to ur queries. I dont have much idea about VLSI, but i got to know, that too have the same boom like embedded. Try to get details from those who r already working on this. Then as for as embedded is concerned I can say its one of the challenging technologies for now and I think it should be forever as the number of products using embedded technology is growing exponentially.

Then coming to opportunities in this field, u have to wait for some time, thats sure(samething happened to me. i dont say for everyone it should be same. In addition to our hardwork luck should be there in order to get right things at right time, thats my beleif 😀..).But if u get into this once, then really life will be a fantastic one. Definitely u will get self satisfaction like am working in one of the world class technologies, in addition to that u will be the professional paying more compared to others in other technologies with same experience. Thats the thing as for as career is concerned.

Then one of our friends(CEans) was saying like as they have got the info like embedded software uses JAVA, its really not. Most of the embedded software is by using EMBEDDED C OR ASSEMBLY. Now a days JAVA is also using but not like C OR ASSEMBLY.

So finally my advice IS still ur into studies, and some more time is there for u to take decision on which technology to enter. So take decision after concerning some other guys who are working in embedded and if u think its worth then enter into the field.

ALL THE BEST MY DEAR............

Regards
    SUJATHA
  • Mayhem
    Mayhem
    Hey Sujatha
    Thanx for the reply...uve given a lot of food for thought and a helpful insight into the world of embedded systems. And yeah a very very special thanx to The Big K for forwarding my query.....
  • chinu
    chinu
    hey mayhem,
    i am also planning to do ms in vlsi...bt i am confused whether to do in us and uk since many say dat getn job in uk is difficult,since u r also trying fr ms i wanted to knw ur sujestn....thanx in adv 😕
  • Mayhem
    Mayhem
    chinu
    hey mayhem,
    i am also planning to do ms in vlsi...bt i am confused whether to do in us and uk since many say dat getn job in uk is difficult,since u r also trying fr ms i wanted to knw ur sujestn....thanx in adv 😕
    Well chinu
    I not even considering the uk. First and foremost Uk is very expensive i mean in term of day to day living. Secondly in my opinion there is no place like the us for a post graduation and even the job opportunities are fantastic. So my suggestion is go for the US. By the way which area of Vlsi are u interested in analog , digital or mixed signal processing? Because rt now i am very confused of which area to concentrate on. So let me know maybe we can exchange a few notes😛.
  • chinu
    chinu
    Mayhem
    Well chinu
    I not even considering the uk. First and foremost Uk is very expensive i mean in term of day to day living. Secondly in my opinion there is no place like the us for a post graduation and even the job opportunities are fantastic. So my suggestion is go for the US. By the way which area of Vlsi are u interested in analog , digital or mixed signal processing? Because rt now i am very confused of which area to concentrate on. So let me know maybe we can exchange a few notes😛.
    thanx for the reply..i am very much interested in digital,and even some of my snrs sujjested to go fr digital,it seems analog jobs require exp.. i had an idea of taking up in uk since its 1yr course...time saving 😀and at d same time i fear that i would b wasting many years in looking fr a job thr...loads of thanx fr d suggestn😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, This has been my favorite topic since my civil engineering days. We had made a small research paper on how to prevent settling of houses in faulty/mushy soils. Now...
Got this problem from a friend through IM. Solve it ! An ant is at a fixed end 'P' of a 1 meter-long rubber band. Just as the ant starts...
main() { int a = 1; int c,d; c = ++a + ++a + ++a; printf("\n%d",a); printf("\n%d ", c); getch(); } The above C code after the execution gives the...
Hi Folks, I am final year computer engineering student. Could anyone suggest me the latest hot topics for the seminar related to latest computer technology. Regards, Satendra
CEans, Please help me choose a backup utility. Requirements are as below - Should be Free 😁 Should support Windows Vista Should allow me to choose individual folders to backup...