help needed for Final yr project

Hey fellow ,

I just went through the extensive list that godfather has provided in his thread, but somehow I'm more confused than ever (three yrs in engr tends to make one get confused very quickly). No offense godfather, you seem to have put a HUMONGOUS effort but after reading a post made by biggie [#-Link-Snipped-#], i decided to put things in writing and then let the big minds here discuss with me what might be a sound topic to work on.

Current *cough*expertise*cough*: 3rd year.
Subjects covered so far: Analog and digital circuits, analog and digital communication techniques, Microprocessors, Microcontrollers, all kind of "advanced" electronics circuits, digital signal processing, power electronics,
Subjects most likely to be covered in next sems: VLSI, Digital image and speech processing, communication systems, mobile engineering, computer Networking.
what I'm good at: concepts of digital circuits and comm techniques, microprocessor programming, networking
what I'm interested in: something involving wireless networking as i am more inclined towards the telecommunication side of ETC.

And there must be a PURPOSE of whatever contraption I happen to create (read: for the greater good of mankind ๐Ÿ˜’)

so let those wheels get churning folks!!!

Smita

PS: ya this is my activity after close to 8 months!! don't b skeptical, my hibernation just got over ๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for all the details you've posted in your post. It's rare these days to find such posts. ๐Ÿ˜€

I hope you'll find help here.
  • smita89
    smita89
    I dwell in rarity of instances!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well, I myself get pretty annoyed reading the desperate pleas "I NEED this..." "I WANT that..." and I'm very organized when it comes to work matters (albeit sometimes), hence the mail.

So far no luck though.. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    She is interested in Telecommunication. Ash are you listening? I repeat....She is ........blah blah. Do you think your CubeSat FYP or something similar would be good for her?
    How about a Thermal Image mapping drone which sends the data wireless towards a remote device.
    Or
    A radar.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hmm.. *rubs chin*

Its important to take a project that will insure your interest throughout it's duration. Losing interesting half way will really demotivate you, and you'll end up trying to finish it for the sake of passing, rather than fulfilling the targets.

My CubeSat project was a collaboration with mechatronic and aeronautical students, as it was a complete system. smita, if you are interested.. you could just focus on designing a concept prototype of a nano satellite's communication subsystem. You'll need to deal with:
    - Antennas.
    - Digital communications.
    - Microcontrollers.

I also worked on image processing of the on board camera. Since you will take image processing, this might be a good thing to undertake too. You'll need to transfer images taken from the camera, transfer it over the above communication system, then process it on the Ground station a distance away.. using Matlab, for example.

Here's the link to my project -> #-Link-Snipped-#

Im sorry, looks like some of the links to the pics have been broken. If I have time (and not lazy), I'll upload them again ๐Ÿ˜€

I'll think of more projects later ๐Ÿ˜€
  • smita89
    smita89
    I actually happened to look through till the end of your FYP log and... *gulp* are u sure about this? It is indeed a very cool topic, I'll do a bit or reading on it and get back to it you pronto (I have an exam tomoro ughh).

Could you meanwhile, suggest something say, a little less awesome ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well.. I guess every project is boring on its own. Its up to you to make it awesome ๐Ÿ˜‰

What I was planning to do for my house was set up a environmental telemetry system, with both wireless and wireline devices. Sensors would measure temperature, humidity, pressure, etc at specific places of the house and send the info back to the main computer through a LAN. In addition, power consumption of main appliances are logged.

Perhaps as a project, you can do a concept version of this? Say.. have 2-3 micro controller circuits collecting temperature & humidity. Use Zigbee for wireless, and Ethernet controller boards for LAN (research on the Microchip ENC28J60 module). These boards have their own TCP/IP stack, and communicates with microcontrollers through SPI. Then on the host computer, you can plot the sensor data with a graph or something ๐Ÿ˜€

You can try going further and have a control system to switch on/off devices directly from the computer. The end target would be to control stuff in the house from the internet ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I'm in Computer major, but have a task in Microcontroller course right now. I have to save and load from/to EEPROM AT24C08A in assembly (asm). I have searched over...
hey... is anybody interested in control systems?? any idea on the TRMS (twin rotor MIMO system)??
Hello folks...๐Ÿ˜ How are you all... new gangster in CE gang, You all can calll me manu. I am a software consultant, and an expert in Java technology. Certified on...
I'm back fellas!! How is everyone? Ok, I'm sure no one remembers me ๐Ÿ˜ I had a brief stint at CE about 8 months ago before I underwent hibernation. Anyway,...
The USEIA (U.S. Energy Information Administration) released a report (www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/pages/sec8_37.pdf) that the US generated 1006 billion kWh of electricty in 2007. An estimated 70% of industrial power consumption is by...