Help me find a clock works engineer

Could anyone help me find a clock works engineer that can assist me in building the escapement I need it to drive the discharge transmission on my spring wound battery.
Every thing I post here all comes back to the battery.

Does anyone have knowledge of clocks?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The TTK Group in India had a collaboration with Westclox of USA. The Big Ben spring wound alarm clocks were made and marketed by TTK. I had my own in college in 1957. With all the modern devices the India unit was closed and all workers disbanded. I know one of them who is still around. Shall check if he has anything to say. Shall attempt to link you both up.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Excellent. I knew you going to be my Guru lol Thanks
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Ok I spoke to a couple of clock works rebuilders or builders and they said I was crazy. But I do not think the application is. They were focused on the basic design application instead of the type of escapement I was asking them about. They shouldn't of done that. So now I start the search over . You see if you asked an engineer in 1960 if a car could travel 30 or 40 miles on a gal of gas he would of said no and that you were crazy in believing it to be. But we can go 30 miles easily on a gal. of gas today. See what I mean. I believe it can be done. I believe it's in new composite springs. Where the weight and retention is superior to whats presently out there. So I will keep going and looking and learning.
    Any info on superior springs out there?
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Ok one person returned an em from the NAWCC clocks and watches.
    Quote:
    I did some calculations. A clock spring holds about 0.01 w-h of power,
    based on a similar weight driven clock.
    It does this in a spring that is about 85 cm^3.
    Now scale that up to a 42Kw-h storage to meet the 6 hours a day for
    7 days of 1Kw.
    That would be a spring of about 7.25 m^3 or in US terms,
    about 220 feet by 220 feet by 220 feet.
    As for regulating the power usage of the spring, an escapement
    like piece would be very inefficient. Something like what is used
    in a fusee clock would be more practical ( also quite large ). Another
    way to deal with it would be to let the generator run at different
    rpm, depending on the torque of the spring. Then throttle the
    the load with something similar to a light dimmer ( only more voltage
    and amperage ).
    Still, we are back to the size of the spring, it will be quite a bit too much.
    If there is a location that has hills near it, a more practical power
    storage is to have reservoirs at the top and bottom. Pump the
    water up for storage and let is run a turbine running back down.
    This is a method used by power companies here, in the USA.
    Tinker Dwight
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Ok Here is his Fusee You see what needs to be learned here is a preconceived notion of what the goal is. A fusee evens the torque out. I didn't ask him about that. I didn't ask him to calculate the spring tension. I asked him for the best escapement design that could handle the large torque. He missed the cue. Be careful not to be blind as to what's being asked of you or you will miss the opportunity placed before you I fired him.[​IMG]
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    [​IMG]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

frnzzz....! for my upcoming mini project, for my topic, i have to know about the various types of displays like crt,lcd,led,oled,etc etc .... so frnz suggest some links or some...
Cellphone manufacturing Indian company Celkon mobiles, famous for making budget phones, has launched another phone today named Celkon OCTA510. Phones with cost less than Rs. 10,000 have been making a...
The Indian mobile manufacturer, Micromax has unveiled yet another budget smartphone- Canvas Hue, further expanding its Canvas series of smartphones. The company claims the device to be a perfect blend...
Anybody has any knowledge in phpBB? I want to know how SEO is done for the contents.
ISIS hackers compromised Twitter and YouTube official accounts U.S. military’s Central Command on Monday and started posting threatening messages and propaganda videos, along with some military documents. After this, both...