Help! ALUMINUM stuck in TITANIUM! How do I unstick?

Hi All!

First off, I am not a practicing engineer, moreso a chemical engineer so please pardon my ignorance. I do hope there are mountain bike riders also in this forum just so that you would know where I'm coming from, and would better relate with my dilemma..

Anyway, here it goes..My bicycle frame is a pre-owned titanium frame, and it has an aluminum alloy seatpost. The previous owner did not use an anti-seize lubricant when he installed the aluminum seatpost. Over a period of time, the aluminum seatpost got stuck in the titanium frame..It's like the two metals bonded together! How do unstick the two?

Hope you crazy engineers have a solution to my problem...be it a chemical, or a mechanical solution..because none of them in any of the bike forums can help me!

Thanks in advance!๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Bergg
    Bergg
    WD40 of course
  • jc boy
    jc boy
    Bergg
    WD40 of course
    Thanks Bergg for replying to the thread. I've tried WD40 already, and other penetrating lubricants. It did not work too..๐Ÿ˜” Sorry I failed to mention it in my previous post.
  • NX687
    NX687
    Punch heat in quick with a torch to grow the tube away from the core and use a soft hammer tapping at he same time then extract
  • BigOhm
    BigOhm
    Aluminum has a thermal expansion coefficient twice that of titanium. So, stick the whole thing in liquid nitrogen.
  • gohm
    gohm
    If you already tried something like PB blaster (much better than wd40) then I would next try heat.
  • NX687
    NX687
    Big ,O

Yes pack it in Ice,,,,,,,,,,,,, then remove

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There is a girl behind each boy, and a boy behind each girl. How many children are needed to do this?
hi, This is my DTMF decoding code for 7 number random dtmf signal. What is Dtmf? Dual-tone multi-frequency (DTMF) signaling is used for telecommunication signaling over analog telephone lines in...
Hello All I am wassup ๐Ÿ˜€ An ex electronics engineer, worked as an embedded engineer. Now cofounder and CEO of cleantech company ! And BIG K awesome work man !
Hi Ceans, Read the link the scientists have corrected the sensor problem!!๐Ÿ˜› Scientists save India's moon mission from failure courtesy google news
Hello guys, Can anybody explain the need for isolating the oscilloscope? If not isolated what will happen? Explain in detail. Thanks in advance!