Helmet Sensors Alert Users Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Gasoline powered tools used at construction site emit carbon monoxide, and in enclosed construction setups, they may cause poisoning. In order to solve this problem, students at Virginia Tech have developed a sensor that can alert the users of the increased blood gas saturation levels so that corrective actions can be taken. The sensor mounts on the helmet and does not interfere in the operations or movements of the user. The students who've developed the sensors explained how they integrated a pulse oximetry sensor into a helmet.

slide

In their demonstration, which was performed without exposing the workers to dangerous CO levels, the researchers monitored blood oxygen saturation. Monitoring oxygen levels and CO levels differs only in the number of wavelengths of light employed. The researchers are confident that their sensors can accurately measure required parameters and alert the users well in time.

The team says that mounting the sensors on the helmet is just the first step in realising a long-term vision of creating a network of wearable and environmental sensors & protective gear at the construction sites. The approach is designed to improve the safety of the workers. The details of the research are available on the source link.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The team says that mounting the sensors on the helmet is just the first step in realising a long-term vision of creating a network of wearable and environmental sensors & protective gear at the construction sites. The approach is designed to improve the safety of the workers.
    this sensor can be reformed into a complete health monitoring feature of all the workers. Also do you think this is feasible in India and cost effective?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why India? I think we are already heading towards wearable computing. Arrival of electronics majors in this domain will redefine a lot of things.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why India? I think we are already heading towards wearable computing. Arrival of electronics majors in this domain will redefine a lot of things.
    The only places here which could target these devices are in metro cities. They actually care for the workers there. But what about smaller towns. They don't even own a helmet in maximum cases.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its not the mistake of government that workers does not wear a helmet but it was the mistake of employer who has to take care on employee working under him.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well my principal chased out all the labourers from the construction site for not wearing helmets

She is one tough Civilian I am sure about that and I am of the opinion that detectors are making life easier and this is one really needed innovation
  • Kanagasundaram Kuppusamy
    Kanagasundaram Kuppusamy
    This helmate definatively save the human life in endanger zone.first government must strictly announched the safety rules for company & private sector.who are follow uped or not.then monitoring the special team,if the helmate are not provide or not wearable at danger zone then punishable to cancel factory license.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I know that, all are fond of awesome desktop wallpapers. Most of the CEans would be switching the wallpapers,daily. Well, I even change wallpapers frequently every 2-3 days. This thread...
Money spent on advertising tends to go to waste if it does not reach the targeted audience. Online advertising is one of the best examples where this problem looms at...
While you are saving up for your 4K UHD TV, Korea's KT Skylife has already tested satellite-based broadcasting for UHD TVs. The service is now ready for its grand rollout...
Intex technologies has launched two 3G smartphones in Indian markets for the budget cautious customers - the Cloud X4 priced at Rs. 4590 and Cloud Y2 at Rs. 6190. Both...
hi friend.m a b.tech cs graduate 2013 batch. this year market is very slow so no bigger cmpny cm to clg.i got recruiterd in a small scale cmpny which works...