Heat exchange between Hot Water and Liquified Petrolium Gas

Dear All,
I want to have a heat exchange between Hot Water and Liquified Petrolium Gas (LPG: 60% propane and 40% butane) to vaporize LPG which is liquid state before heat transfer. Can anyone tell me how it works in reality? What is need of vaporizing it when it can be naturally vaporized? What is the fundamentals to use this?
Please guide me.

Regards,
Harshad Katre

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    No liquid vaporizes unless the latent heat of vaporization is given. If you are thinking of the domestic gas cylinder, the evaporation rate is so small that ambient air can transfer enough heat through the cylinder wall. If the demand is high some heat exchange is needed. e.g. Cars running on LPG do require some active heat input. Indutrial use may need more.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Hot water is the source which provides the latent heat of vaporization to LPG. you can build a simple counter-flow exchanger with LPG as the tube-fluid, and hot water as the shell-fluid.

But there are many other ways too.
  • Harshad Katre
    Harshad Katre
    How can I calculate the hot water temperature required for vaporizing LPG? Do you have the calculations for the same? Where I will get the thermal properties for LPG for certain temperature and pressure?

Harshad
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Calculate the total heat load as mL (m-mass of lpg/hr, L- latent heat of vaporization 104 KCal/kg) This should be matched by the heat lost by the hot water M(delT)(M - mass flow rate of water litre/hr, detlT- temp difference between inlet and outlet). Temperature need not be more than 70C. Design your heat exchanger based on these. If it is a stationary application, you may be able to buy a standard exchanger.
  • Harshad Katre
    Harshad Katre
    Thank You..
  • Harshad Katre
    Harshad Katre
    Dear All,
    Which composition of LPG mixture (containing propane and butane (including 0%)) is better to use from chemical properties and availability point of view? Please tell me advantages and dis-advantages both.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Harshad Katre
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If it is just a fuel, it does not matter. No specific advantage or otherwise in use. Calorific value is almost same.
  • Harshad Katre
    Harshad Katre
    Dear All,
    Can anyone please give me the layout of LPG flow (used generally for industrial purpose) from storage tank to end user through Vaporizer?

Regards,
    Harshad

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am in 3 rd year of computer engineering in mumbai. pls. guide me what is best for further studies
Now consider this situation: A couple of pulleys have been coupled together by a belt. Now what would be the practical procedure to determine the tensions in the belt, (the...
Name:Mangesh *Engineering Trade:IT Location:Amravati *Occupation: Student Work Experience: Fresher *Hobbies & Interests: Surfing, Downloading, Listning Music etc *Aim in life: Establish my own Software Business. *I joined CrazyEngineers because: Getting...
Hello, is there any way to get Latest IEEE topics, Can anyone tell me what can I do in Digital Image Processing or Artificial Intelligence? Which will be better? Or...
Dear All, If motor is running with 40%load of the rated kW whether it can be run permanantly on star mode? Regards, Fisfise