Have the values of your generation changed since your parents generation? Is that change good?

Values are known to change with time and region. These values are often the building blocks of how an entire generation perceives and pursues things. What kind of decisions they make and if or not they thrive. If someone asked you to compare the values in your generation to that of the generation before you, do you see a significant difference? If yes, is that change good or bad? If no, why? Do share your views.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Inviting opinions from everyone online:
    #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for the post. Its an awesome topic to discuss.
    As per my understanding, "All Cultures Change Over Time, It is Cultural Evolution Not Devaluation".
    If values are decided in terms of traditions, culture, respect, I strongly admit that, we have not lost any. Exceptions are few, but I guess, majority will agree with me. We all love our traditions, customs. We want to celebrate all our festivals with our families. We do respect our parents. We do offer sits to senior citizens/lady who are deserving. The most important thing in the society I see is, People are now a days concerned about women literacy, and why not they!! Women literacy gives all Positive output.. Similar thinking was not there generation back!!
    We can have so many examples like these.

Summarizing myself, I want to say, some old redundant unnecessary customs, rituals should retire, they are fading too, which is positive sign. We should be open minded. New thoughts, ideas should come up, but most important, not at the cost of hurting someone in any manner.

Please correct me if I am wrong at any point. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Few facts about the lifestyle at our Parents time:-

1. Few people were educated. And only a few among those even got the opportunity to go for higher education.
    2. Common People didn't have that much knowledge about the world outside, or about science and other inventions.
    3. Exposure to circumstances affecting the rest of the world were limited. People were concerned only about their own country/state/kingdom/city/village.
    4. Crime was more barbarous. (Not that now there is a better standard, but some of the techniques used back then were super inhuman and painful!!)

We take things differently. Most of the above points change with our generation. That is a big difference.

Is this a good or bad thing?

Well, the good stuff is not really enlightening from some aspects.

eg:-
    1. No time for face to face communication, but ample time for Whatsapp!!
    2. Too much of technology is making us 'addicted' and 'fat'. Our parents had more energy and were healthier because they worked hard.
    3. Reading (Newspapers, Magazines, Novels, etc) has decreased in our generation.
    4. Outdoor sports get easily replaced with indoor Playstations!
    5. Tension in this generation is lot higher. People loose hair faster. Also White hair appears faster.
    6. Age of death gets reduced year by year.

Verdict: Those who can live with the positives of this generation, and also carry forward the positives of the previous, will have a better chance for survival - and they will carry the better genes to the future generation! - the rest of us get stumped by evolution!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    We are actually (20 to 40 year old) are the bridge between two major generation change.
    From no communication and information technology (Which was there from centuries) to able to communicate and find information within a sec.

Values shifts and changes, we have to accept it. But common values of humanity like "Equal rights", Respect to others should be preserved.

Take an example, 10/20 years before, A son has to listen his father whether father is right or wrong decision and has to accept it. If he questions or argue it (Even in healthy way) son is considered to be a bad son. (Mostly choosing a career). And it sometimes ruins the life of a person.
    But, Isn't it wrong. Today everyone agree with a healthy argument, no matter what is the age different.

Anoop Mathew
    1. No time for face to face communication, but ample time for Whatsapp!!
    Yes, but when it was not there people could able to connect to only handful but with information technology you can connect to 100 of them.
    But, yes this very irritating to others when sitting on dinner table and chatting to a distance person rather than person sitting to next.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In my case, I am the previous generation.
    The one before that did not try to make us competitive. We were told to be good at studies and get a good grade, to excel individually not to be better than the rest.
    Girl children were valued. 76 years back my mother wanted a girl child and was a bit disappointed that I turned up. She gave me a unisex name and dressed me in girl's clothes (not to mention pigtails!) till a sister turned up (followed by two more) and let me off the hook.
    Children would be outdoors (boys climbing trees with monkeys) when not at school.
    We had to collect various leaves and flowers on festival days from the wild (hunt in the fields outside town). Excellent practical botany lessons.
    Many of our houses did not have power. Those that had did not boast of even radios. Reading books was the time pass. Classical music (Indian and Western) was the order of the day.
    There was complete religious tolerance. All toook part in everyone's festivals. Hindus did the firewalk for Muharram. Muslims did the palanquin decorations for temple festivals. My mother used to bake cakes (without eggs!) for Christmas for our Christian friends. The nuns from the convent my sisters studied in and the priests from my Sacred Heart School and College would visit the houses of their Hindu students on Hindu festival days and enjoy the food.

My wife and I kept the same values for our kids. My daughter is following the same path with her daughter though in the USA.

It is true that values are changing. There is a disconnect with nature and with each other. Competitiveness is the rule of the day.
    All is not hopeless. There are pockets of core values even among the youth.
    It will work out.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    A.V.Ramani
    In my case, I am the previous generation.
    The one before that did not try to make us competitive. We were told to be good at studies and get a good grade, to excel individually not to be better than the rest.
    Girl children were valued. 76 years back my mother wanted a girl child and was a bit disappointed that I turned up. She gave me a unisex name and dressed me in girl's clothes (not to mention pigtails!) till a sister turned up (followed by two more) and let me off the hook.
    Children would be outdoors (boys climbing trees with monkeys) when not at school.
    We had to collect various leaves and flowers on festival days from the wild (hunt in the fields outside town). Excellent practical botany lessons.
    Many of our houses did not have power. Those that had did not boast of even radios. Reading books was the time pass. Classical music (Indian and Western) was the order of the day.
    There was complete religious tolerance. All toook part in everyone's festivals. Hindus did the firewalk for Muharram. Muslims did the palanquin decorations for temple festivals. My mother used to bake cakes (without eggs!) for Christmas for our Christian friends. The nuns from the convent my sisters studied in and the priests from my Sacred Heart School and College would visit the houses of their Hindu students on Hindu festival days and enjoy the food.

My wife and I kept the same values for our kids. My daughter is following the same path with her daughter though in the USA.

It is true that values are changing. There is a disconnect with nature and with each other. Competitiveness is the rule of the day.
    It will work out.
    Thanks for showing few depiction about your childhood sir!! The celebration of festivals forgetting their own religion was an awesome thing. Awesome!!๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Even I belong to a place which is a village-turned-town. I must say, the things we were doing for fun/outdoor activities were awesomely awesome!! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    It will work out.
    We need to instill that kind of positivity in the minds of the young generation, who is easily distracted by the advent of connectivity. There is hope for sure, but too many young ones rely on conspiracy theories, counter remarks and continued exposure to negativity blaring at them from hate comments on the internet and the TRP-inducing debates and soaps on the idiot box.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am trying to install Raspberry Pi cross-compiler in my machine. Successfully done first part. Yippie!! But still I am unable to compile programs. After research I found that I...
A team of engineers from the National University of Singapore are working on developing underwater robots that look just like the living creatures and also have a fully functioning brain...
sir,i have done my btech(CSE) 2014 passout.i was trained in java basics in 4-1 semister.in my college there are no placements.in june_july there was no openings on developement and also...
BPG abbreviated as Better Portable Graphics is new image format with sole purpose to replace JPEG. Here's the BPG/JPEG Comparison : https://bellard.org/bpg/lena.html Here is one image comparison for lazyass people....