Hard Disk Problem

Hey guys I had bought a 160 gb laptop harddisk and put a casing on it (so that I can use it as usb and its small so it is portable).Things were good until one day my friend dropped the harddisk.Some of the files were not working properly after that(movies softwares games not responding and all) but alot of things were working.When I took some more movies from my friend the harddisk started hanging more(not responding and being slow) so i transfered the workin data to my laptop and formated my hard disk(using disk management) and then transfered all the data back to the hard disk.Even then things were not workig good; they were worse.I lost all my data(getting it back is not a problem) but now when i transfered some new stuff from my friend it is again hanging inspite of me formatting it twice(both from disk management:1st was normal and other was quick).Do you know what the problem is???Also please tell me the solution.

P.S.:I know ive written too much but i thought ill give u full detail.Thanks in advance.

Replies

• crook
    crook
    safeman
    Hey guys I had bought a 160 gb laptop harddisk and put a casing on it (so that I can use it as usb and its small so it is portable).Things were good until one day my friend dropped the harddisk.Some of the files were not working properly after that(movies softwares games not responding and all) but alot of things were working.When I took some more movies from my friend the harddisk started hanging more(not responding and being slow) so i transfered the workin data to my laptop and formated my hard disk(using disk management) and then transfered all the data back to the hard disk.Even then things were not workig good; they were worse.I lost all my data(getting it back is not a problem) but now when i transfered some new stuff from my friend it is again hanging inspite of me formatting it twice(both from disk management:1st was normal and other was quick).Do you know what the problem is???Also please tell me the solution.

P.S.:I know ive written too much but i thought ill give u full detail.Thanks in advance.
    Thanks for the detailed information. I've faced a similar problem in past. Before I begin my explanation, let me tell you the solution: You will have to buy a new Hard Disk and forget the older one.

The problem, it seems, is with the 'arm' inside the HDD. When the HDD was dropped, it must have caused physical damage to the arm. Have a look at this picture to get a clear idea of arm [​IMG]

You can check if the HDD is physically damaged from inside by shaking it near your ear. If you hear the 'tik-tik' sound, its time to say goodbye to your HDD.

That's my solution. Maybe someone else can suggest a better solution.
  • safeman
    safeman
    crook
    Thanks for the detailed information. I've faced a similar problem in past. Before I begin my explanation, let me tell you the solution: You will have to buy a new Hard Disk and forget the older one.

The problem, it seems, is with the 'arm' inside the HDD. When the HDD was dropped, it must have caused physical damage to the arm. Have a look at this picture to get a clear idea of arm [​IMG]

You can check if the HDD is physically damaged from inside by shaking it near your ear. If you hear the 'tik-tik' sound, its time to say goodbye to your HDD.

That's my solution. Maybe someone else can suggest a better solution.
    yeh i heard the sound.Is there no solution??Please tell me .The hard disk is really expensive(11000 rs incl. casing).
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    safeman
    yeh i heard the sound.Is there no solution??Please tell me .The hard disk is really expensive(11000 rs incl. casing).
    If the HD is physically damaged, its better to get it fixed from the vendor. Look for the warranty (your notebook is a recent buy). Your vendor should replace it for you free of cost.

I recommend that you buy a new one because a current quick fix may result into major data loss in future. But if you use it to store unimportant datat (movies, mp3s etc.) then you may take the risk.
  • safeman
    safeman
    Rocker
    If the HD is physically damaged, its better to get it fixed from the vendor. Look for the warranty (your notebook is a recent buy). Your vendor should replace it for you free of cost.

I recommend that you buy a new one because a current quick fix may result into major data loss in future. But if you use it to store unimportant datat (movies, mp3s etc.) then you may take the risk.
    Actuly its a laptop harddisk but I am not using it in my laptop i am using it as usb.I bought a laptop harddisk because it is small n portable.But ill try what you said.Thanks for that.
  • mahul
    mahul
    yeah if its still under warranty just lie to the vendor and get it replaced......good quality brands do it hassle-free........no other option but 2 replace it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello to all CEans' After 6 quotes & reply i finally got an eye on starting my introductory thread. Not much to say but just as i have mentioned in...
Hi crazy engineers! wat will be the next version of windows after VISTA?? WILL Mr Gates will stop launching windows verisons????😁
hi.. I have selected a project based on VLSI tech. I want to interface FPGA 2S200-5PQ208 to parallel port. I need help in converting voltage levels between two families.... Please...
can any boudy tell me wat is blu-ray disc??? and wat r its features? does it requres any other writer??
Hello Folks, First of all, 'Hi' to all of you! Before describing the problem, let me first give my system configuration. Processor - Pentium IV 2.8 GHz Motherboard - D101...