GUIDE: Forum Etiquettes

This article or more clearly, this Guide is for the new members joining our Crazy Engineer Forums on how to ask for sensible help or guidance and take part in the forum activities. The reason you are reading this is because recently we have been having many number of students asking for projects or project ideas. To keep the community strong and to guide our fellow engineers to a stronger path we have written a few guidelines. If you follow this simple guide you can be sure to get plenty of replies on your queries and have a respectable conversation with your CE peers.

I suggest you read through the #-Link-Snipped-# first before going through this.

Some things you should keep in mind before even joining the forum is why you want to join it in the first place. The following sections will take off from this thought.

Section 1
  • Never ask CE forum members or for that matter in any forums, to provide you with complete college projects, complete college project reports, complete circuit diagrams and/or drawings for you to copy-paste.
  • Never ask CE forum members or in any other forums to email you any of the above.
  • DonΓ’€™t get disheartened. Again I stress, the reason for this kind of stringent moderation is to keep away un-thankful or lazy students and to keep the forum free from empty unanswered threads related to the above topics. If you really need help in something there is a way to ask for it. See Section 2.
Section 2

This section describes the way you can get most out of your experience on CE forums.
  • Always use the search functionality on the forums. Always! There may already be a thread of similar topic and might provide you with the info you are looking for. You can also restart the thread by posting in your questions.
  • If you have an idea about your college project but donΓ’€™t know how to go about it then:
    • Give a brief description of your project and why you like to do it, what got you interested. Since we are engineers itΓ’€™s nice to know how you discovered your project.
    • Tell us how much you have looked around and what are your present conclusions about the problem you have.
    • Ask your questions in point form, itΓ’€™s easier to read and easier to answer.
    • Now you can ask for related example circuits or diagrams and any white papers related to the topic but remember its not for copy-paste work!
  • Remember the forum members are students or working professionals. They all have more to do that sit on the forums all day. Have patience. There will surely be a reply πŸ˜€
  • If you do get what you were looking for donΓ’€™t forget to briefly share the solution with us! It can be extremely useful for someone else. Well, CE is all about teamwork. Also, giving a thank-you post to all who helped wont hurt.
Coming soon,

GUIDE: Find information you are looking for.
GUIDE: How to choose your college projects.

Believe me, it sounds simple but there are many books written on the topic and knowing this can make a lot of difference in your engineering career.

Have fun in the forums, and yea; Welcome to the crazy world of Crazy Engineers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S: If there are any comments or suggestions please let me know. and biggie, you anyway have to comment on this. Hopefully this will be included in the Lectures πŸ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hey man, this is pretty good stuff!

Here is my suggestion -

We can make a stickies for 1. Project Ideas 2. Seminar Topics 3. Summer Training FAQ.

Just update the point 1-1. (Its okay for CEans to ask for project ideas. But it would be improper to ask someone to 'do' the work).

Let's wait for further comments.

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    May I add something? Firstly, I second biggies point that its okay to ask for ideas.

Instead of having different lectures (which is boring!!!) can we not condense everything in just ONE document or post? It will be easy for everyone to point to this document, in case a new member wants guidance? it will be a challenge to keep the document simple and concise. I can help in this task. let me know what you feel
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Hey thats a great idea crook. Biggie, what do you say if we integrate all the FAQ's and Ettiquates Common Sense into one whole CE Forum Values.

And I have made some change to 1.1. But you know why I wrote this guide, its only for that point.

Havent you seen so many new members asking for "Project Ideas" or "Projects" and well, if they ask for Project ideas AND we give them, the only thing they do later on is ask for the circuit diagrams, programs, software code, drawings blah blah blah, some even ask the members to email it to them. I have seen this a lot on bigger Electronic forums and they ban these kind of users right away. Yea we cant go that far, but if we are growing lets be productive rather than have hundreds of wasted memberships.

By the way they can ask for ideas, but it should not be like they are just doing it for college credits or marks!!! Its a shame for an engineer to copy-paste!!

If you like, append these in your article on #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    xheavenlyx
    but if we are growing lets be productive rather than have hundreds of wasted memberships
    Yep, I agree with that. We have 3000 engineering minds here, from various disciplines and experiences. Thats ALOT of great potential if we synergize all of that together.

xheavenlyx
    I suggest you read through the #-Link-Snipped-# first before going through this.
    Don't mean to be so picky about a typo but.. it should read Common Sense Guide πŸ˜› Nice guide though! Oh, about crook's suggestion about combining into one... along with having one whole page with a concise information, we can then have links to other pages if they need more clarification (ie the boring lectures πŸ˜›)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I fully agree with you, xHx. I personally believe that exchange of ideas will lead to innovation. Let's say, CEans discuss ideas on CE and then do something 'innovative' in their college projects. But I do understand your point. If it comes to discussing code or posting circuit diagrams, it should be okay.

Section 2 is very well written. I agree with Crook that we should have a single page to which we can point for all such questions. Moreover, we will have to add screen shots to the points which cover 'how to post' or 'how to reply' etc. I'll start working on it as soon as possible.

As Ash said, we do have a great potential if the engineers from different trades start interacting. That's the USP of CE. Let's evolve xHx's guide & the common sense guide into a document that covers everything that is needed to be on CE. Only thing - it should be small & not scare people away 😁

I'll start working on the guide and post the updates in this section for you all to comment on it.

-The Big K-
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Exactly, it must be a teamwork, and I think even you dont want to see new members joining just for their college project to get a good GPA!!

Like Ash said in another thread, she joined just for that but got interested πŸ˜€, so yea its better you remod my guide into a one full read, and yea less scarier πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
  • Elisa
    Elisa
    Count me in for any help needed! Members of CE will post if they get their first question answered in short time. It will make them feel comfortable with members and this website. That is why I try to answer questions on forum. xheavenlyx's guide is neat and as big k said, it can evolve into a guide which covers everything. If I get time, I will compile something.

Keep your spirits high!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    xheavenlyx
    Like Ash said in another thread, she joined just for that but got interested πŸ˜€
    Sorry to break all the guys hearts on this forum (just kiddin). Im a male πŸ˜› Though I can understand why the name ash can be similar to aishwarya rai πŸ˜‰
  • crook
    crook
    ash
    Sorry to break all the guys hearts on this forum (just kiddin). Im a male πŸ˜› Though I can understand why the name ash can be similar to aishwarya rai πŸ˜‰
    Thanks to everyone! I'm little busy for next few days. Will begin work on weekend. Cheers!
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    crook
    Thanks to everyone! I'm little busy for next few days. Will begin work on weekend. Cheers!
    lol, dude, did you read what ash wrote?????!! LOL, you quoted the last reply and went for leave...without reading HIS post πŸ˜€

@ash, sorry ash, but is there a name behind ash, or is it just a nick?? God that was embarrassing.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ahaha, crook is hilarious!

n xhx, its cool man.. no worries πŸ˜‰ The "ash" is short for Ashraf.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Playstation III – The Ultimate Vibe We have been hearing a lot about gaming consoles lately esp after the much hyped Microsoft's XBOX 360. Playstation III, the third incarnation of...
Hi Guys! I'm a final year Electronic Engineering student. I'm contemplating my final year project and have an idea to make an electronic Electricity Meter system, with an inbuilt automated...
I'm a EE major undergrad. Thinking of grad school in america. interested in vlsi. Any recommendations of good places? Esp. if you went there. Thank You. Edie
hi frieds, I am doing interfacing gsm modem with my com port through vc++ application. we have three majore function 1) check signal strength 2) read sms using at+cmgl="ALL" 3)...
😁Hi.,,,CE's I am happy to join this group.. keep enjoying Devaraj SE,Chennai