GSAT-7 - India's First Defence Satellite Launched Successfully - Confirms ISRO

ISRO - Indian Space Research Organization has confirmed that the launch of GSAT-7, India's first ever defence satellite was successful. The launch was scheduled at 2:00 AM today morning from Kourou, French Guiana. The satellite is being carried into the space by Ariane-5 launch vehicle and has successfully placed the GSAT-7 into the intended Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit aka GTO after flight of about 34 minutes and 25 seconds. The GSAT-7 will help step up India's maritime defence capabilities and security. The GSAT-7 will be used by the Indian Navy for its multi-band communication spacecraft expected to be operational by the September 2013.

slide

As the launch team planned, ISRO's master control facility aka MCF at Hassan in Karnataka started receiving the signals five minutes prior to the separation of the launch vehicle (Ariane-5) and the GSAT-7. The satellite has already deployed its solar panels and ISRO has confirmed that all the machines are functional just as planned. Initial tests and self-checkups of the satellite indicated that the satellite is in good health.

Once further testing is done, the orbit of the satellite will be raised to Geostationary Orbit (~36,000 km altitude) through three orbit raising maneuvers. This will be achieved by firing of GSAT-7's Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM). The team of scientists is already preparing for the fire which is scheduled tomorrow. The satellite will reach its final destination by September 4, 2013. Once the satellite is in its final resting place, GSAT-7's communication transponders will be turned on.

GSAT-7

ISRO's GSAT-7 is an ambitious project with a total investment of about Rs. 185 crore. ISRO officials informed the media that the satellite is quite important from India's security point of view. We congratulate ISRO on successful launch of GSAT-7! If you have more information about this satellite and how it will be used by Indian Navy, please share your knowledge through comments below.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    It was high time till India had dedicated defense satellite and they achieved it today. Good progress. Talking about the Navy, I think they will use it for tracking and monitoring the naval borders. They might also use this as launch pad for advanced weaponry which the common masses don't know of. And I think we need more satellites for Defense as soon as possible right into space. Air Force, Army, RAW need their own.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    As per ISRO's Plan this is not a stand alone satellite Insider report says that there is to be a series of launch in defence satellite that will help out in several things.

The highlight of all is the Server to administrate these satellites are purely in India that makes every one think India is working all out to defend against some threat
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Once again a good news from ISRO.What happened to the GSLV-D4 which had been stopped due to leakage.I think we didnt cover its failure in the voice¿

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The other day I wrote about the new voice search feature included on their site by Flipkart and CEans reported that the service didn't work 100% for them. I believe...
I've been using iPad for almost 2 years now and have always wished if I could do some real productive work on it, apart from email. There were times I...
NASA's engineers are planning to deliver solar energy on Earth via platforms located in the orbit. John Mankins is heading the project which is in development stages. The project is...
I want all the CE developers to peek their nose into this topic.Consider if you are a developer and creating a new app or software. What are the difficulties faced...
Well, this year 2013 will mark a decade for company I formed and nurtured, M/S Integrated Ideas. In less 10 years Google and Facebook have grown at an exponential multiple....