GRE Statement of Purpose - SOP Format - What should it contain?

The Statement of Purpose or more often called SOP is the most important part of the candidate's application.

It will will tell the admissions committee who you are, what has influenced your career path so far, your professional interests and where you plan to go from here.

What do you think colleges look for in a 'Statement of Purpose'?
What points should you include in your SOP?
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

Replies

• Nadin Broun
    Nadin Broun
    I know that this thread is pretty old but I just wanted to say what I think about what colleges look for in SOP.
    I think that the most important thing they want to see is an applicant's desire and, well, purpose to study at their university.
    They want to hear reasons why you want to study this particular course or pursue this particular degree.
    And of course they want to know your experiences and how this experiences and projects influenced you.
    The best advice on writing SOP I've found in this article - Write Stories. Not Statements.
    Hope this will be helpful for someone!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A lot of CS-IT people are searching for project ideas based on Ubuntu Platform. Could some CEans come up with different project ideas and concepts for 3rd and final year...
GRE Math Section is divided into 4 basic categories of questions: Arithmetic Algebra Geometry Data Interpretation/Analysis Let's dedicate this thread to discuss various maths and quants concepts required for getting...
Asa Griggs Candler Professor of Bioethics Paul Root Wolpe explores these questions raised by X-Men: First Class. [video=youtube;Sh30K_kMyCU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh30K_kMyCU[/video] Is science capable of enhancing human abilities to the extent of the...
Parront AR Drone is a nice toy that can be controlled with the help of iPad or iPhone. At the launch company said that they will roll out support for...