Grand Quiz Question #9

The 9th Question of the #-Link-Snipped-# is as follows -

[Worth 10 CE Coins]

Year was 1963. 4 youngsters had booked some rooms in a hotel. The group consisted of 2 girls : Nancy and Drew and 2 boys : Jim and Alfred. During their stay in the hotel, one of them was murdered.

When the police asked, the hotel staff said they knew very less about the incident.
From what little information that was gathered, here's what the police felt important:
Nancy's brother screamed at Jim's wife once after the murder happened and Drew's brother shouted twice at the victim's spouse after the murder.
This information was sufficient for the police to determine who was murdered.

Can you find who among them died that day?
------------------------------------------------------------
Update:
Please explain your answer. How did you reach this solution?

The fastest to answer this wins!

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think its drew
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    Its Jim................
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Nancy was murdered. Reason: Both the boys are alive. Jim's wife is alive so it's Drew who was alive and Nancy was dead.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Please explain your answer. How did you reach this solution?
  • Reya
    Reya
    The person who died is Alfred.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    It's Alfred!
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    Drew is alive. Because both the boys are alive because they both shouted and she isn't nancy. so its drew.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Drew's brother is Jim and Nancy's brother is Alfred. Jim's wife is Nancy and Alfred's spouse is Drew.

So, Jim shouted at Nancy and Alfred shouted at Jim.

The one who is dead is Drew!
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    It is nancy
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    oops...

I mean, Alfred shouted at Nancy and Jim shouted at Alfred.

Whatever, anyway, Drew is the one who is dead!
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    oops I mean Drew is dead.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Detailed explanations are needed because -

1. People who are guessing are eliminated.
    2. We have to make sure you are not making any assumptions.

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    It seems there are two relation indicated here

One brother and sister

one husband wife

here husband was killed i.e Jim
  • ultimate_k
    ultimate_k
    Nancy's brother is Alfred. And Drew's brother is Jim. so jim's wife is Nancy and Alfred's spouse is Drew. so Alfred shouted at Nancy and Jim shouted at Alfred. therefore drew is the one who's dead.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Drew was murdered

Rational:
    1. With both the conditions its apparent that both the male's shouted after the murder so none of Alferd / Jim was murdered.

Now to find out who was the murdered girl, lets take two assumptions:

Assumption 1- Alferd is Nancy's brother and he shouted on Drew, and drew's brother Jim shouted twice on victim's (drew) spouse (has to be a male as victim is female) -- Alferd

Assumption 2 - Jim is Nancy's brother and he shouted on Drew, and drew's brother Alferd shouted twice on victim's (drew) spouse (has to be a male as victim is female) -- Jim

So in either assumptions - Drew is coming out as Victim. Hence Drew was murdered.

-CB😁
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Drew's and Nancy's brother is alive = atleast one guy is alive
    Victim is married.
    Jim is married.
    Jim's wife is alive (she's screamed at) = atleast one girl is alive

Assuming both girls have different brothers, both guys are alive.

Nancy -- bro1
    Drew -- bro2

Then the possible spouses are Nancy+bro2 and Drew+bro1

if bro1 is Jim, Jim shouts at Drew(alive), so nancy is dead. But then drew's brother AND victim's spouse is same person (bro2) [X]

if bro1 is alfred, Alfred shouts at nancy(alive). And so drew is dead. Then Jim shouts at alfred. All conditions go correct.

So Drew is murdered.
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    Drew is dead.

Nancy's brother, Alfred screamed at Jim's wife, Nancy once after the murder happened and Drew's brother, Jim shouted twice at the victim's spouse, Alfred after the murder.

Jim and Nancy are married.

Drew and Alfred are married.

Nancy's brother is Alfred.

Drew's brother is Jim.
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    As, nancy's brother and drew's brother are alive and also, jim has a wife, means it is not possible that both the girls have common brother...
    so, both the brothers screamed, this means both the guys are alive...
    now as drew's brother shouted twice at victim's spouse means either jim or alfred, but because nancy's brother screamed at jim's wife, this means victim cannot be jim's wife
    that means victim's spouse is alfred... so, this leads to the fact that drew's brother is jim.......

now, nancy's brother i.e. alfred screamed at jim's wife which is ofcourse nancy (as, drew is sister of jim).... so, nancy is alive......

therefore, DREW was murdered......
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    why do i read 'scream' as 'I saw a dead body' ( they screamed only once) and shouted twice(only when someone is listening you shout)

Nancy's brother (either jim or alfred) screamed at Jim's wife once after the murder happened -- ie is Jim's wife dead??? in either case (its drew who would be the wife )

• durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm, i want to solve this puzzle so here i continue to my previous post

since it says scream - i read it as - " sees the dead body and screamed"

Nancy's brother screamed at Jim's wife

Nancy's brother(jim) screamed at Jim's wife(drew) or
    nacy's brother (alfred) screamed at jim's wife(nancy ) ( i went wrong here last time)

so either of the girls is dead

second part of puzzle
    Drew's brother shouted twice at the victim's spouse after the murder.

if victim is nancy, then Drew's brother IS victim's spouse, ie

Drew's brother (jim) shouted twice at the victim's(nancy) spouse (drew's brother == jim) after the murder

so unless Jim/Alfred are shouting on themselves, nancy can;t be the victim

so the victim has to be drew as then

drew's brother (alfred) shouts at drew's spouse ( jim) or drew's brother (jim) shouts at drew's spouse (alfred)

PS: this is not for qualification 😛
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Here's something I got out of Durga's idea:

Year was 1963.
    4 youngsters had booked some rooms in a hotel.
    The group consisted of 2 girls : Nancy and Drew and 2 boys : Jim and Alfred. During their stay in the hotel, one of them was murdered.

When the police asked, the hotel staff said they knew very less about the incident.
    From what little information that was gathered, here's what the police felt important:

Nancy's brother screamed at Jim's wife once after the murder happened
    -Must be Alfred who screamed after seeing his sister Nancy was dead at Nancy. Nancy here is Alfred's sister. Jim here is Nancy's husband.

Drew's brother shouted twice at the victim's spouse after the murder.

-This could be because, Alfred shouted at Jim. Here again Alfred is Drew's brother, and Jim is Nancy's spouse.

It is not known about who is who. Just that Nancy's brother and Drew's brother screamed is mentioned. It could even be assumed that Nancy, Drew and Alfred are siblings.

This information was sufficient for the police to determine who was murdered.
    -must be Nancy
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    Nancy's brother(alfred) screamed at Jim's wife(drew) once after the murder happened and Drew's brother(alfred) shouted twice at the victim's spouse(drew) after the murder.

Jim is murdered! ..

Alfred has two sisters---> nancy and drew.
    jim---husband of drew!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Thread Closed. . . .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

While waiting for today's CE grand quiz question - reloading, and reloading - I wrote a python script to automate the process 😉 Here is it: [COLOR=#808080]#!/usr/bin/env python # Check...
Hi members, what is need of # in header files like #include?
Hello, I am currently working on a project and I am having issues finding a gearbox for my engineering project. I have searched several sources like eBay and I have...
I have been using a DELL PC for quite sometime now. However I am seeing certain drawbacks. For one thing, I cannot go anywhere taking it. So I am thinking...
The Question was: Year was 1963. 4 youngsters had booked some rooms in a hotel. The group consisted of 2 girls : Nancy and Drew and 2 boys : Jim...