Grace Marks For Girls To Enter IIMs - Good Or Bad?

In a move to 'rebalance' the gender scales in office spaces, all the leading Indian Institutes Of Managements (IIMs) have decided to offer grace marks to girl candidates who apply for IIMs. IIM Rohtak will award 20 marks to each girl and another 20 to a non-engineer, IIM-Raipur will add 30 marks to the overall scores of each girl-non-engineer. IIM-Lucknow has decided to grant five marks to each girl and two to non-engineers. I wish to know what our CEans think about this move from the IIMs. I personally believe that this move indicates that girl candidates aren't capable of securing a seat in IIMs on their own and they need 'grace' marks to secure a seat. I personally see this move as idiotic as it questions the ability of girl students.

Do office spaces really need to care about the gender balance or award the job only to those who 'deserve' it?

PS: I've lost faith in IIMs long ago.

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Really, when did this happen?

Sheez, I knew the ration on campus was skewed, but this is taking it a bit too far though.

But to be frank, hasn't this always been the case? In Mumbai University, there is a 50% reservation of seats for Girls (it's been so for the past 8-9 years now). How is this any different? Equal opportunity is one, unfair advantage is another.
  • talwar1994
    talwar1994
    These people feel that engineers learn too much extra being in engineering. Infact we engineers don't even deal with the topics mentioned in the syllabus of CAT. Well if this kind of undue advantage has to be implemented then lets involve topics like integration and differentiation which we as maths students actually study in +2.in CAT. Then it can be fair and square. Else without even giving valid justification this decision is totally unfair towards engineers.
  • Reya
    Reya
    This is ridiculous.Why there is a discrimination in IIM's?Why do they wanted to give grace marks to girls?Is this the right decision to bring diversity in their campus?

IIM will lose its standards because of this decision 😔
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    that was totally unexpected... but i am totally against it... even though i am a girl! seriously, just when i was hoping something would happen and all the reservations would be removed from the systems, another new reservation pops up! the value for merit is reaching an all time low...
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    another derogatory initiative , I must say. The result would be -however smart the gril be and however good their score be - they would be classified as reservation candidate. Well done !
    I found a satiric article. here: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I personally believe that girls are equally capable!! This is not a good initiative.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

😎Hi! I want to give CAT for next year, Will anyone tell me Where I'll get Puzzles, Functions, Family tree - identifying relationship among group of people, Symbol based problems...
In fact I have been browsing this site ,but never thought of registering it ..until now... In fact I am a cool guy..But little disturbed in mind..Can I get a...
Here's a hilarious cloud computing talk by Mr. Vishwabandhu Gupta - Ex. Income Tax Commissioner of India. Mr. Gupta talks about data being stored in 'actual cloud' and questions thunderstorms...
Hey ppl, GATE 2012 notification came out today. IIT Delhi is organizing institute for this year. Check this for more details: GATE 2012 - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
Hello to all, I am a newbie here.First thing is I am not here to discuss much technical issues. But needing some help for some practical life related problems and...