Got throught the 'gate' and now what..

Hi I just got through GATE with 97.2 percentile and 1167 AIR nad 536 score from CS Discipline. I hadn't seriously expected this as I hadn't prepared anything.

Now I am in a fix, having not much of a clear view of where all I can apply. I do have some job offers, but the calls would be late due to recession. I want to make maximum use of the chance I have at hand. I have applied for MSc at IISc and am planning to apply for coursework as well as research programmes at IITs(M,B and D only). Please suggest if I should apply to any other Indian universities..and I don't intend to go for the NITs.

Also another area I have no info about and no preparation is foreign studies, which a friend of mine is suggesting. I would like to know which are the universities and courses that I can try and are worth trying also.
I have so far checked out ANU(Aus National Univ),Univ of Tech Sydney,National Univ of Singapore...but not clear what all needed and about qualifications required. Would I need IELTS or TOEFL..etc etc..never bothered about these things so far..so would like to know from experienced and aware CEans about the best course of action...

thanking in advance..hope my decision to check out CE forums pays off.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We have CEans in Australia, Malaysia & US who can help you with specific information.

First of all, you'll have to decide whether you want to pursue your further studies in India or other countries. I think checking the previous years trend about admissions in IITs (the ones you wist to apply to) may give you an idea whether you'll get admission or not.

At graduate level, the first exam you will have to clear is GRE and then TOEFL. GRE is easy to crack for the engineers and so is TOEFL. All you need is above average command over English to crack both these exams. Math & Analytical part is not too tough for engineers (in my humble opinion).

If you have specific universities in your mind; the best option is to check their official websites. Any good university will mention admission criteria and procedure on its official website.

Best!
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    Vivek788
    Hi I just got through GATE with 97.2 percentile and 1167 AIR nad 536 score from CS Discipline. I hadn't seriously expected this as I hadn't prepared anything.

Now I am in a fix, having not much of a clear view of where all I can apply. I do have some job offers, but the calls would be late due to recession. I want to make maximum use of the chance I have at hand. I have applied for MSc at IISc and am planning to apply for coursework as well as research programmes at IITs(M,B and D only). Please suggest if I should apply to any other Indian universities..and I don't intend to go for the NITs.

Also another area I have no info about and no preparation is foreign studies, which a friend of mine is suggesting. I would like to know which are the universities and courses that I can try and are worth trying also.
    I have so far checked out ANU(Aus National Univ),Univ of Tech Sydney,National Univ of Singapore...but not clear what all needed and about qualifications required. Would I need IELTS or TOEFL..etc etc..never bothered about these things so far..so would like to know from experienced and aware CEans about the best course of action...

thanking in advance..hope my decision to check out CE forums pays off.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    so first thing you had not prepared for Gate exam but you got score,
    now you can get admission in some IIT like Guwahati or kharagpur.

for taking admisson in IIT's you need to pass written test and interview if you were not prepared prepare now. nothing is impossible and forms of different IIT's are released now or try for some regional colleges or for govt colleges like VJTI, COEP, WCE sangli...

But after admission you will go through a difficult phase because you were not prepared, but in IIT's you should be prepared for everything surprise tests, long lasting classes and very tough exams and if you get CGPI below 6 they will kick one out of IIT that is they can cancel your admission!!!
  • Vivek788
    Vivek788
    exactly what i figured..anyway i didn't get shortlisted for my required branches in any of the iits..and i am no iit type.. better go for the job now..and study when i am prepared mentally as well ๐Ÿ˜..(to mods-->thread maybe locked)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi dis iz mech engg. plz tel me sum ideas about hydrolic robots....๐Ÿ˜
Continued from post Reincarnation of CE im: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/ce-labs/3155-cedoot-reincarnation-ce-im.html Well, instead of asking K for a machine, we can do it ourselves. All we need is a machine with broad band...
such assignment pulled my attentiona and i took a while in solving it but then i reachd some friends and they said my answer isnt convincing enough diffirintiating (calling function)...
Name: *Engineering Trade: Electrical Location: Hyderabad *Occupation: Working as a software Engineer Work Experience: 2+ *Hobbies & Interests: Reading books, listening to music, watching movies and blogging *Aim in life:...
Totally Blank so far Areas of Interest: 1. Image Processing - Image Segmentation and Recognition 2. Web Applications - nothing Any suggestions