Google/Microsoft top 25 interview questions

Following is the list of top 25 questions asked last year in Google & Microsoft Interview; published by #-Link-Snipped-#:

Let's try to answer them 😉

1. What was your best McGuyver moment? Asked at Schlumberger.
  2. How many tennis balls are in this room and why? Asked at Yahoo.
  3. If you were a brick in a wall which brick would you be and why? Asked at Nestle USA
  4. How would you move Mount Fuji? Asked at Microsoft
  5. If two cars are traveling in a two lap race on a track of any length, one going 60 mph and the other going 30mph, how fast will the slower car have to go to finish at the same car to finish at the same time? Asked at Morgan Stanley.
  6. Are your parents disappointed with your career aspirations? Asked at Fisher Investments.
  7. Tell me how you would determine how many house painters there are in the United States? Asked at Acquity Group
  8. What should it cost to rent Central Park for commercial purposes? Asked at Bain & Co.
  9. If I put you in a sealed room with a phone that had no dial tone, how would you fix it? Asked at Apple.
  10. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why? Asked at Pacific Sunwear.
  11. How many hair salons are there in Japan? Asked at Boston Consulting.
  12. If both a taxi and a limo were priced the exact same, which one would you choose? Asked at Best Buy.
  13. How to measure 9 minutes using only a 4 minute and 7 minute hourglass? Asked at Bank of America.
  14. What are 5 uncommon uses of a brick, not including building, layering, or a paper-weight? Asked at Kaplan High Education.
  15. What is the probability of throwing 11 and over with 2 dices. Asked at American Airlines.
  16. What is your favorite food? Asked at Apple Store.
  17. Say you are dead- what do you think your eulogy would say about you. Asked at Nationwide.
  18. Given a dictionary of words, how do you calculate the anagrams for a new word? Asked at Amazon.
  19. How many lightbulbs are in this building? Asked at Monitor Group.
  20. Given a square grid of numbers, considering all the numbers at the boundary as one layer and numbers just inside as another layer and so on how would you rotate each of the layers of the numbers by a given amount. Asked at Microsoft.
  21. How would you sell me eggnog in Florida in the summer? Asked at Expedia.
  22. Develop an algorithm for finding the shortest distance between two words in a document. After the phone interview is over, take a few hours to develop a working example in C++ and send it to the manager. Asked at Google.
  23. Given a fleet of 50 trucks, each with a full fuel tank and a range of 100 miles, how far can you deliver a payload? You can transfer the payload from truck to truck, and you can transfer fuel from truck to truck. Extend your answer for n trucks. Asked at Palantir.
  24. You are in a room with 3 switches which correspond to 3 bulbs in another room and you don’t know which switch corresponds to which bulb. You can only enter the room with the bulbs once. You can NOT use any external equipment (power supplies, resistors, etc.). How do you find out which bulb corresponds to which switch? Asked at Goldman Sachs.
  25. If you saw someone steal a quarter. Would you report it? Asked at Amazon.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I know 24th answer!!

I will switch on one bulb and stay for some time , then i will switch it off!

I will switch on the another one.

I will enter the room.

The Switch which I on corresponds to the bulb which is glowing.

The bulb which is hot corresponds to first switch.

And the last one to the last switch.
  • Vega
    Vega
    13. How to measure 9 minutes using only a 4 minute and 7 minute hourglass? Asked at Bank of America
    1) Start with both the hourglasses in position.
    2) At the end of 4th minute (determined by 4 minute hourglass) invert 4 minute hourglass.
    3) At the end of 7th minute (determined by 7 minute hourglass) invert both the hourglasses. Now 4 minute hourglass is capable of measuring 1 minute.
    4) At the end of 8th minute (determined by twicked capability of 4 minute hourglass) invert 7 minute hourglass. This 7 minute hourglass had collected 1 minute.
    5) Using the collected 1 minute in 7 minute hourglass, last minute (of 9 minutes) is measured.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Bumping the thread. Anyone?
  • qwerty321
    qwerty321
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    where is ans???
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    Vega
    1) Start with both the hourglasses in position.
    2) At the end of 4th minute (determined by 4 minute hourglass) invert 4 minute hourglass.
    3) At the end of 7th minute (determined by 7 minute hourglass) invert both the hourglasses. Now 4 minute hourglass is capable of measuring 1 minute.
    4) At the end of 8th minute (determined by twicked capability of 4 minute hourglass) invert 7 minute hourglass. This 7 minute hourglass had collected 1 minute.
    5) Using the collected 1 minute in 7 minute hourglass, last minute (of 9 minutes) is measured.
    it can also be done as following:

1) start with both the hourglasses in position.

2)At the end of 4th minute(d etermined by 4 minute hourglass)invert the 4 minute hourglass.

3)At the end of 7th minute( determined by the 7 minute hourglass) invert the 4 minute hourglass. Now 4 minute hourglass is capable of measuring 1 minute.

4)At the end this 1 minute invert the 4 minute hourglass.

5)Again at the end of 4 minutes invert the 4 minute houglass.

6)Now at the end of these 4 minutes,
    9 minutes are certainly measured!!!!!
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    answer to ques number 15.

well this one is simple!!!!

total number of events = 36
    number of favourable events= 2 (5,6)(6,5)

thus the probability will be = 2/36 = 1/18!!!

so simple..that means i may got a placement!!!
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    hey nitsy if the dice are similar then the probability would be 1/36
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    answer to ques no. 5:

the speed of two cars are 60mph and 30mph
    well to end the race at the same time the car travelling with slower speed mus have to accelerate!!!!

the desired acceleration can be find out as follows:

suppose the distance to the finish line be 'L'
    and as we know that the slower car is moving with 30mph = u(let)
    now time taken by the car moving at 60mph will be
    t = L/60 hrs

so by using the following formula we can calculate the acceleration needed:

L = ut2+(1/2)at2 here 'a' is the desired acceleration

now on putting values in the above formula..we get

a = L/3600

so the car moving at 30mph must accelerate at the rate of L/3600 to finish the race at the same time!!!!😁

correct me if am wrong!!!!
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    English-Scared
    I know 24th answer!!

I will switch on one bulb and stay for some time , then i will switch it off!

I will switch on the another one.

I will enter the room.

The Switch which I on corresponds to the bulb which is glowing.

The bulb which is hot corresponds to first switch.

And the last one to the last switch.
    nice idea!!!!!
  • vegetablevn
    vegetablevn
    Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. I was actually hired from another interview I had. I'm sure this thread will be useful for others though.

[FONT="]Apart from that, this link below may be useful:[/FONT] #-Link-Snipped-#
    Tks again and pls keep posting.

imnitsy
    nice idea!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello mates, I have cell phone charger and Laptop charger which I got from India and its specs are like some 220 v 50Hz, with 3 round shaped pins. Now...
Hello Guys, I am actually interested to work with Microwaves Engineering and I wonder what kind of jobs or job titles would be available in USA, in India or in...
Inspired by CE badge, I tried to create the badge of my blog. For that I added an image in my blog itself and created a web link for image....
how to make a small helicopter?????????????
Can anybody tell me how to block Unwanted calls by using Nokia 6030?