Google To Buy WhatsApp Messenger For $1 Billion

Google is interested in buying the WhatsApp messenger for whooping $1 Billion - the rumour is spreading fast on the Internet. The deal's been on since last 4 weeks and WhatsApp is playing it hard to 'get' and asking for a higher price.

WhatsApp is a simple, cross-platform messenger that uses your phone's contact list to check who's signed up on WhatsApp service and then allows you to send messages, files, videos and photos over the Internet. The service is similar to what Google offers through their messenger 'Gtalk' but with more features.

WhatsApp charges $0.99 per year after initial one year of free trial and the app is extremely famous all over the world with several million active users.

What do you think?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    With the kind of popularity that WhatsApp has garnered, this was bound to happen. Earlier Facebook was rumored to be in talks with this company about acquisition.

And now we have talks of Facebook Home all over, while we know that Google's GTalk is losing its relevance because it hasn't evolved at all.
    So, I think this will be a wise move for Google.

Ever heard of Google's project Babel? Under that project, Google is rumored to be integrating all its mobile messaging platforms. WhatsApp could be a great part of it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Update:

WhatsApp has completely denied that it is holding sales talks with Google following reports that the company is on the verge of a $1 billion buyout.

Neeraj Arora, WhatsApp’s business development head, told AllThingsDigital today that the company is not holding sales talks with Google.

Looks like Whatsapp is up to something. What is your take folks?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    WhatsApp's success will be determined by the number of people who agree to pay $0.99 after the initial first year of free usage.
  • babumoshaaye
    babumoshaaye
    I don't think Whatsapp would ever sell out since they know they have something unique and won't give themselves up. Whatsapp is bigger than Twitter as said by their CEO, and they will obviously try to keep going ahead. Whatsapp is trying hard to keep their services updated since they don't want users to opt for a free alternative. Let's hope for the best.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    WhatsApp doesn't have anything unique, so to say. They offer what the traditional messengers have been offering. The only thing they did smart was to get access to people's entire phonebooks and allow people to add friends from existing contacts.

Ultimately, I do expect WhatsApp acquisition either by Google or Facebook.
  • Phenomenal
    Phenomenal
    The thing is,WhatsApp managed to get millions of customers who should be willing to pay just 0.99$/yr for their services which seem far more valuable and that too ad-free.
    They got people addicted to it and with the ban/limitation on SMSs,WA will become more popular as a cross-platform messaging service.
    It is an indispensable app right now and works well on both PC,mobiles as well as tablets.
    Loved the way they are selling their service.It's quality product+quality marketing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Frankly speaking, Samsung's ChatOn is a far better app than WhatsApp. It's just that it's limited to people using Samsung Phones. I hope that they'll bring ChatOn to other platforms.

It so happens that only 10% of the WhatsApp contacts are using ChatOn. It really needs a rapid adoption. I think these messaging apps will lead to creation of a strong competitor to FB and Twitter.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    WhatsApp's success will be determined by the number of people who agree to pay $0.99 after the initial first year of free usage.
    I initially thought WhatsApp was inherently free, with the $0.99 optional for premium features. So on I went to renew the licence, only then I realised a long time later it was billed by my carrier as a "misc" item in the billing 😛 Cheeky.. but its still a lot less than my sms costs at least.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why use a windmill that has to rotate a turbine, convert the variable mechanical output to electricity, regulate and use? Can a nonmechanical system be conceived? Two TU Delft researchers...
Using a low-power infrared laser, the Heriot-Watt University engineers have been successful in capturing high-resolution images with 3D details by stationing their system from a distance as long as one...
CEans, I'm pleased to announce the return of CrazyEngineers 'Conference' - our real time interaction / chat system for all our members. Those who've been on CE for a long...
Making raves in news, the hot topic of discussion among engineering students is the news report in TOI that says - 88% of IITB students say that they don't study...
The Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited and the Electronic Corporation of India Ltd (ECIL) signed a MOU to deploy Carrier Ethernet Switch Routers across 8 sites at a ceremony held in...