1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Google Pay SMS Issues - Is it the Bank or Google Pay?

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #Coffee Room #Startups & Business on Jan 29, 2020
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 29, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

I'm facing strange issues with Google Pay. I make a payment with the merchant by scanning the UPI QR code and I receive an SMS and Push notification confirmation that the payment is successful. However, the merchant won't receive the SMS quickly. They'd then ask me to wait until the message arrived.

On multiple occasions, I've paid in cash (after making payment via UPI) ; and went back to the merchant later to get my cash back. This is super annoying.

I'm wondering who controls the SMS that goes to the merchant - Google Pay or the merchant's bank? Is there anything I could do to avoid this?

Posted in: #Coffee Room #Startups & Business
saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Jan 29, 2020
Rank B3 - LEADER

I havent faced this issue in Hyderabad , when ever I pay , I and the merchant receives sms almost simultaneously.

Once you get a success message from google pay, that means the money is deposited in merchant account, so it is something to do with the bank of the merchant .  Few banks say SBI and sometimes HDFC also have delayed messages.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 29, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

It does work fine ~80% of the times. But rest of the times, the SMS just fails to arrive or arrives after ~5-10 minutes. It's happened to me at least 5 times and I'm pissed off. I've noticed that the SMS delay usually happens in the evening when the transaction volumes are big. 

I've researched this a bit more and found that Google Pay won't handle the merchant SMS. The payment received notification is handled by by the merchant's bank. 

Wouldn't it be nice if Google sends message to the merchant. At least they should have a database of all the merchants who show GPay QR code. If not, they should at least work with the UPI folks to ensure faster SMS delivery. 

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Jan 29, 2020
Rank B3 - LEADER

As far as I see at least in hyd people in hyd are ok at looking at sent message in my phone in Google pay app, they seldom looks for their sms to appear.

Anoop Mathew
Anoop Mathew · Jan 30, 2020
Rank A3 - PRO

Sending out SMS would not be performed by Google Pay. It would be done by the Bank's SMS provider. It is better that way because the SMS is not just a random SMS, but a key to authenticate your transaction. 2FA authentcation is a minimal requirement in any transaction in India. Also, in UPI terminology Google Pay is a PSP (Payment Service Provider). A PSP can have multiple Bank accounts linked to it to provide a UPI (Unified Payment Interface) to its customers. (For More details refer here/PM me: https://www.npci.org.in/product-overview/upi-product-overview)

At times SMS delays occur due to varied IT related factors. Also, just as your email notification limit, these SMS service providers would also have a limit on SMS per second which their system would support. Banks should invest in better systems which can cater to faster TPS (Transactions per Second) and relevant SMS per second. 

P.S.: From a Banking perspective, I would suggest a slower but safer mode of receiving your authentication key than maybe any other unsecure format of receiving the key faster. Being in the BFSI sector, it is needless to say, but again I have to iterate that please don't share your PIN with anyone. Have heard multiple recent stories of fraud happening with customers of some big banks even though they claim they haven't shared their SMS with anyone. Also, be careful of what access rights you give to applications on your phone to read your SMS.

Swarup Pan
Swarup Pan · Jan 30, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Look in case of an app development, there are many segments to deal with. As its an app basically dealing with bank server and transactions this issue is quiet common.

One thing I can say they have the trust of Google. Secondly, as you know transactions are atomic in nature, but as of these many users and continuous ping to the server it can take a while to catch the response.

I guess the the messeging service is triggered when the catch response is received. Thats where the delay comes.

Not to worry.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up