Google means 40% of the total Internet traffic

Well I was looking for the one proof that makes Google the King of the WorldWideWeb. And guess what, destiny gave it this morning.

May we call it fate or accident, Google servers were down this morning for about 5mins around 4.20am IST.
There was a glitch in the system and anyone who tried to access Google at that time, got a 502 error. All the Google activities were suspended for that duration which was of about 5minutes.

After an hour in a report by GoSquared, a web analytic firm stated, "Google.com was down for a few minutes between 23:52 and 23:57 BST on 16th August 2013. This had a huge effect in the number of page views coming into GoSquared's real-time tracking — around a 40% drop, as this graph of our global page views per minute shows," noted GoSquared. "That's huge. As internet users, our reliance on Google.com being up is huge."

It is for sure that a lot of people who tried to access Google, while it was down were trying to check their own internet connection.

Unlucky me, I missed to notice this event personally since I was watching a movie, but I am sure it might have been one hell of an experience. I checked CE at that time and I remember

@#-Link-Snipped-# and @#-Link-Snipped-# online on CE at that time. Maybe they noticed it.

All in all, this indicated, Google rules the Internet.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to chit-chat section from gadgets / software / apps section.

In a way, Google is significant to the Internet because it's the default window to the other websites. But in United States - Facebook's already taken over the #1 spot from Google. I think if you combine all of Google's services - then Google might be a behemoth; but I'd not say it rules the Internet.

It'd have been more interesting, had Google stayed down for a longer period and the internet trends were observed. When Google was down, people quickly turned to Twitter to figure out what happened and Twitter had almost 143k simultaneous updates.

If Google goes down - people would still visit their favorite websites directly by typing URLs in browser.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    T But in United States - Facebook's already taken over the #1 spot from Google. I think if you combine all of Google's services - then Google might be a behemoth; but I'd not say it rules the Internet.

It'd have been more interesting, had Google stayed down for a longer period and the internet trends were observed.
    I think 40% downfall in internet page views activity monopolizes Google. And of course I was talking about the whole Google network with all services which were down this morning.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    did other search engines see an upsurge in their traffic? yahoo? bing??
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    durga
    did other search engines see an upsurge in their traffic? yahoo? bing??
    No such reports on that. But all news are buzzing about these figures. Google goes down for a couple of minutes and the world traffic goes down by 40%. That is epic according to me.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Traffic to GoSquared.com doesn't represent the complete WWW. It doesn't mean much.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Anand Tamariya
    Traffic to GoSquared.com doesn't represent the complete WWW. It doesn't mean much.
    It is a web analytic company. And they are analysing global traffic. Not the traffic on their website. This incident is all over news. You can check it out
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    is anyone facing an issue acessing google?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    durga
    is anyone facing an issue acessing google?
    Nope ma'am.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Nayan Goenka
    It is a web analytic company. And they are analysing global traffic. Not the traffic on their website. This incident is all over news. You can check it out
    They are trying to grab the limelight. Here's Google's official statement:
    "Between 15:51 and 15:52 PDT, 50% to 70% of requests to Google received errors; service was mostly restored one minute later, and entirely restored after four minutes."
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Agreed. But this statement is related to Google server status. We are talking about its overall impact on the Internet. We never know if their intention was publicity but all the news reports are following similar figures so I guess I want to believe that.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Google hits every time a person posts here in CE is really high as well But that doesn't always mean that google monopolise the global scenario

It is the best search engine and some of it's features has no competition That makes it sit comfortably on top of the pinnacle
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    Google hits every time a person posts here in CE is really high as well But that doesn't always mean that google monopolise the global scenario

It is the best search engine and some of it's features has no competition That makes it sit comfortably on top of the pinnacle
    the impact of Google on networking now a days is a majority of total traffic depends on it. Google spiders are into everything and that basically affected the page views that night

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Kerala's Startup Village has decided to celebrate September 12 as 'Entrepreneurship Day'. The startup village, which is one of the biggest startup incubators in India has secured 1000 applications in...
It seems the Auto-giants are having a World War in India. With Franfurt Auto show coming up next month, none of them want to take their old school models with...
Hi everyone... I want to know about networking and hardware as a career for a CSE graduate. what is the career growth in networking?is it a good field for a...
Yes its a very sensitive and a serious issue.I am proud to say that I am a blood donor and I am here to ignite awareness to those who have...
Hi guys, Basically I am from B.E mechanical Department completed in 2012 and My interest is to get into IT field ..For that I have to study all the computer...