Google Maps Now In Hindi - Indian Regional Rovers Get a Fillip

Here is some good news for Hindi-speakers in India as Google, in its quest to improve and provide comprehensive maps according to the regions across the world, has announced the launch of the Hindi version of Google Maps. Now, when you search for a particular locale, you will be able to see the site’s name in both Hindi and English.

ngp

Google via a blog post announced that the new maps supporting Hindi language will be available on the new Google Maps and on the latest Google Maps for app running on mobiles having android version 4.3 and above. In order to see maps in Hindi, a user will have to select Hindi as the preferred language. The computer users can either select Hindi by changing the language preference on the Google account settings or by selecting ‘Hindi’ option which is available at the bottom of google.co.in home page. The Android users will have to select the Hindi option present in the “Language and input” menu found in the phone’s settings menu. This linguistic feature is not yet available for iOS users.

hindi

After selecting Hindi as a preferred language, the users will be able to view the names of the cities, localities, major roads, and famous locations in Hindi. The labels which the users can see in Hindi are generated by transliterating English names to Hindi and also it is ensured that the script is as per local dialects.

If the users can come up with more accurate Hindi places names then they can send corrections by using #-Link-Snipped-# option which is present at the bottom right-hand side of Google Maps or by using #-Link-Snipped-# for better experience.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I am not sure how much sense it will make to have Google maps in hindi.

Whoever is using the maps on smart device (phone or laptop) must be atleast that educated that the map can be read in English. I do not see much use of having map in hindi. 👎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Being educated and understanding 'English' are two entirely different things. Why is Google taking pains to make their services available in various languages? Well think about Japanese, Russians, Chinese, Germans, French, Italians who do fantastically well without English.

Large portion of Indian smartphone users aren't educated, but they use Google's services. It's actually a good step that Google's presented their maps in local language. I hope they'll continue to add more languages to all their services.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Large portion of Indian smartphone users aren't educated, but they use Google's services. It's actually a good step that Google's presented their maps in local language. I hope they'll continue to add more languages to all their services.
    Quite possible this would be the case, and if in reality the usage of hindi maps would be high, it will be great.

Getting some data for percentage of user's that are using MAPS in hindi would be interesting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As expected, Flipkart's site crashed and Mi3 was sold out in flat 40 minutes. I'm reading on various websites that Flipkart had got the interested buyers register and the registration...
Looking for recommendations on the best 40" - 46" LED TV in India. The old Videocon box got broken and the repair guy says that the entire motherboard will have...
Synsoft Global, a mobile and web app development company based in India, has developed a new app called 'AUTOnCAB' for the Android and iOS platforms that lets the user hail...
So, there was a headline on Washington Post today morning that read - "Syrian death toll and extremist threat increases, but the U.S. does little" Random googling landed me up...