Google Fiber 180 Fiberhoods In Kansas City - Who wants Google Fiber everywhere?

In a recent blog post, Google revealed that they now have 180 fiberhood registration throughout Kansas City, so now 89% of the city will have ultra-high-speed Google Fiber.
Why is this is a good news for the residents? Because they now get one gigabit connectivity - so their websites will load faster, upload/download rates will be super-speedy and Smart TVs will show HD movies with faster streaming.
Google has declared plans to install Google Fiber to their first customer in Hanover Heights within the next few weeks and move to its neighborhood soon. In fact, they've published a complete approximate construction schedule on their official blog.

See the enthusiasm of people about Google Fiber here -

Are you eager about Google Fiber coming to your city too? Share with us your thoughts.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I recently chatted with a friend who just moved out of Kansas and he says Google fiber is bit costly. The typical broadband plans cost about $100, while the Google one is about $150. I however think that given the speeds Google's promising, $150 is still a great price.

Google Fiber, to the best of my knowledge is the FTTH we have in India. It's the fiber communication and speeds unimaginable on copper have bee achieved already. Quite interesting it is! The technology, I believe is already around, I just want the Governments to 'open up'.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I guess people in Kansas are ready to shell out some extra bucks if they are going to get uninterrupted internet connection at a good speed. ☕
    We really need something on these lines in India at a mass level.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    As I discovered, things aren't cheaper in the USA. My friend says, average mobile bill is around $70- 100 and things are definitely cheaper here in India. India too has the Fiber technology to promise the speeds (may not be as high as what Google Fiber offers) but they're going to make a few bucks before the bring the prices down. I'd be more than happy to shell out $100 for a 20+ Mbps line. Google's offering 1 Gbps; life's awesome for the Kansas people.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Installation of FTTHs is cumbersome ;I think we Indians will have plenty of troubles while using FOCs.

1Gbps BW is awesome grab but this seems like more focused on Green people. Which middle class family can afford 175 US $ per month ?
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Troll_So_Hard
    Installation of FTTHs is cumbersome ;I think we Indians will have plenty of troubles while using FOCs.

1Gbps BW is awesome grab but this seems like more focused on Green people. Which middle class family can afford 175 US $ per month ?
    In my opinion it will be a bit cheaper India. It won't be the exact $175 equivalent in Inida, considerably cheaper I hope(but sadly even the cheapest equivalent will turn out to be costly for us,but it's definitely worth the money). I would like to learn a more about the troubles we face while using Fiber optic cables. Please Elaborate.!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Unlike DSL, FOCs are not preferred hanging around city anywhere.
    First of all ,the single bend in FOC between NITs and consumer can affect the desired bandwidth, as loss is obtained in every bend (which we dont want)... So the FTTHs/FTTNs using FOCs are done underground this consumes loads of time. And when population is more the working process gets slower.
    Plus use of FOCs are not just for internet connectivity ... the real purpose is transmission of power to home ;so less power loss is obtained. But using FTTHs it is not possible to transmit both signals with same channel ... so shit gets messy.
    United States are very much organized in this .... A single mistake can lead to heavy loss.
    Also FOCs are very costly ... the more the distance from NITs the more the cost ...

I am cent percent sure that FTTHs in India will be 35% costly than that of US ...
    Even ADSL is way too costly in India, plus FUP criteria of TRAI chucking up the shit ... I dont think FTTHs will be useful if FUP will be imposed on it.
    TRAI should re-define some of its rules.

Just because US passed bill like SOPA,PIPA and ACTA ; Its not necessary that Our goverment's DOT should act like their puppet.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    more than techonological advance - I see this a a business model.

Currently - how much money does a ISP makes? and how much money does a application onwer makes? the whole expense of network is borne by ISP and its applciations such as vedio streaming(read youtube) take up bandwidth
    So at somepoint , the ISPs would demand a share of the reap and that's when Google network comes into pciture.
    By spreading their network acess the continent, they would though have to spend intially on infrastructure , the infrastructure as it is is going to yeild huge benefits in coming ages, given the way data is being accessed and used these days

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi , I am 3rd year mechanical student..... plz suggest me some companies where I can do my industrial training.... I am intersted in Automobiles and heavy machinary....
Need some info about job prospects after M. Tech...... other than doing PhD and becoming a teacher....
hi engineers i just finished my bsc degree of electronic and telecommunication engineering and i'm now thinking of studying for masters but the problem is i haven't particular field in...
So, there has been enough fuss about iPhone 5 and its features. Some people love the new screen-size and some just hate it. Some are joking about it - So,...
Hello All, I am currently working on a project where I would need to measure the current from a Channel Electron Multiplier(CEM) anode. The anode is at a high voltage...