Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player Launched - Is Apple TV Scared?

Google Inc has launched a new device, called the Google Chromecast, a HDMI Streaming Media Player, which happens to be a dongle powered by Chrome OS and is currently priced at $35. It is remote-free and works across all the platforms. Launched alongside Google's New Nexus 7 Review - Is It Better Than Its Predecessor?, if it is the price that excites you, let us see how the $35 dongle works with your setup. Once the user connects the Chromecast to a Wi-Fi network, he will see the Chromecast logo and a basic Home Screen with some of the first apps from the Google Play store on your TV. It will access all the content via Cloud, unlike Apple’s AirPlay. Speaking of which, though many would feel that it is Apple TV that is being threatened with the arrival of Google Chromecast, we should note that for that to happen Google has to bring the Nexus Q in the picture.

Chromecast's price tag is lower than that of Apple TV, a $99 device whose #-Link-Snipped-#is similar to Chromecast's but which also has more features and apps that run directly on it. Right now, all that we are excited about is the fact that this dongle has the ability to stream across multiple operating systems. So Chrome for Windows as well as Apple's iOS are covered alongside Android. "We have a multiplatform approach…and we go where the users are," said Google's chief of Chrome and Android, Sundar Pichai. Nice move, Google! We give you that.

Google-Chromecast-HDMI-Streaming-Media-Player
Image Credit: Gizgad​

You can toggle between your phone and the TV easily, or build shared playlists with friends if their devices are in the same room as well. While working for Chrome on the desktop, which gets a "cast" button for the toolbar that pushes whatever's in your current tab directly to the TV, users be able to continue using the desktop while their tab is being projected, even if they open a new tab and keep working. So basically, you get to project anything from Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, as well as all of the stuff on the web. Now, if you purchase the Google Chromecast dongle, inside the box you will find a HDMI extender, USB power cable, and a power adapter.

What this news tells is that we have to watch out for more living room tech related news bubbling up in the near future because Chromecast is just the evidence that living rooms are a growing battleground among consumer tech companies. Amazon is already known to be working on a set-top box for streaming video and Apple has similar plans. We want to know what are your view about technology-use for the living room audience. Share your thoughts in comments. Plus, check the following video from Google -

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think it is awesome that Chromecast takes nearly zero setup time. Apple TV has got a rival, but it would take time to get a cheer from the Apple fanboys.

I also checked that Google has released a Chromecast SDK for developers. Mario Queiroz, VP of product management for Google, said that applications wouldn’t have to be rewritten to use the device. AOL, which is developing apps for the system said that in terms of development time, tweaking existing applications was a piece of cake.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    When is this thing coming to India? If it is, at all.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HTC India is all set to bring a new Android smartphone for the masses. We have been covering news about the HTC's desire range of smartphones and have seen a...
Skoda India, the Czech automaker is all set to announce the all new Skoda Octavia vRS, the fastest Octavia ever to come out of the company's production house. Featuring two...
My Sister is coming from dubai. Can i ask her to buy a mobile phone from there? Will i get all company warranty? Is Samsung S3 cheaper there? Please suggest...
Today Wikimedia Foundation in partnership with Aircel has announced the arrival of Wikipedia Zero in India. According to this initiative Aircel subscribers can now browse the mobile version of the...
I read some where that doing masters in Germany is subsidized that you don't have to pay tuition fees. Is that true ? Can you please share the procedure to...