Google Chrome Will Be Easier On Macbook Battery

Macbook users who prefer Google Chrome over the default Safari browser have always complained about the faster draining battery. Safari on the other hand, always played nicely with the resources and extended the overall battery life. Google's finally rolled up sleeves to make Chrome lighter on Macbooks so that it hogs lesser amount of resources; thereby extending the life. Google's Peter Kasting wrote on #-Link-Snipped-# about the improvements Chrome engineering team is adding to addressing this issue.

Outlining the improvements made on the trunk, Kasting writes that the Chrome renderers for the background tabs had same priority as that of the foreground (active) tabs. Now, the foreground tabs will have higher priority than the background ones. The performance tests have shown about 50% improvement with this shift.

The engineering team has also improved upon the wake times and CPU use resulting into 66% improvement; bringing Chrome at par with Safari. All of these changes will appear in Chromium before public release goes live for Chrome on OSX. The post did not talk about the ETA but we'd expect at least a few weeks before this arrives on your Macbooks.

Chrome-OSX-Safari-Resources

We'd love to ask current Safari users whether they would love to switch to Chrome once it's address all the memory and CPU usage related issues? Or are you too addicted to Safari on OSX?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Even though I know and have experienced that Safari is faster on Macbook, I tend to use Google Chrome. If this works as is intended, it will be a big boon!

Memory use is certainly another complaint.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been hearing the rumors that Sony will introduce the next version of PS4 at E3, 2015 conference. It's been several months since Sony has launched the PlayStation 4 and...
When you are old, will you regret never starting your own business? When you will look back upon your life story and connect the dots - will you say "I...
At the time we fear of the scanty monsoon and with the news of food wastage around, its time to take food wastage challenge Seriously! Most of us buy food...
OPPO Neo series has a new member. It's called OPPO Neo 5 and today it has been launched in India. An 8 mm thick phone with a 2000 mAh Li-Po...
Guys I'm Electrical engineer, I want to know the opportunities of GATE other than IITs, NITs and PSUs . What are all good colleges/universities to pursue M.Tech for EE and...