Google Brings Guest Network And Device Renaming To Its OnHub Router

Google OnHub is the router co-designed by the search giant in association with TP-Link. Launched late last year, it was commended by analysts for its ease of use and painless setup. But it lacked one basic feature of a wireless router; a guest network management module. With an update to the router’s firmware and Google On mobile app, Google has now brought a smart guest Wi-Fi access system that lets you decide which devices and files guests can access.

google-onhub-router-guest-network

Most routers do not provide this level of discretion with guest Wi-Fi networks. But Google has made up for the delay in making this feature available. Using the Google On mobile app, owners can specify which devices guests can access via Wi-Fi. For instance, the office printer might be made off-limits, while the speakers can be accessible for streaming music from the guest’s device.

Another useful feature that comes with this update is the ability to rename devices for ease of identification. The On mobile app maps the devices currently connected to your router, and can also aid in troubleshooting connectivity issues. But most importantly, it acts as an uplink to Google so that the router firmware and critical updates can be obtained effortlessly.

The OnHub is capable of transmitting via dual bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The router would decide which band is better for each client and switch between the two. It also comes with a speaker on top that helps in pairing devices without an admin password. The tone-based pairing itself achieves that level of security. It does inflict another major limitation by not being able to share a storage device via its USB port.

OnHub is now manufactured in association with TP-Link and Asus, and both models are equally armed and simple to configure. But Google’s idea of the router might be a little broader. Interestingly enough, they are also into the Google Taps Into Telecom With Project Fiber - Provides Internet, TV and Voice Calls, and experimenting on Google SkyBender Drones Test 5G Internet Hotspots Using Millimeter Waves connectivity. With smart home and IoT uprising, Google might want to place itself at the center of all connected devices.

Source: Google's OnHub routers are getting a smart new guest network feature - The Verge

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Taiwanese multinational Asus has unveiled its Transformer Book T100HA for the Indian market. The device combines the power of a stylish 10.1-inch laptop with the convenience of a super-slim tablet....
For those interested in making a mobile phone than talking on one here is a D-I-Y document: ArduinoPhone 2.0 - An open source mobile phone - All
Quote: Our brains are designed to focus on one thing at a time, and bombarding them with information only slows them down. MIT neuroscientist Earl Miller notes that our brains...
quote: Without further ado, here are the 100 Jokes That Shaped Modern Comedy. They are listed below in chronological order, complete with video or audio. Use the timeline slider to...
I am persuing BE in CSE 3rd year.I need help in deciding my minor project topic.I know programming in c,c++ & java.please instruct me further.