Google Android 4.4 Is 'KitKat', Not Indian 'Kaju Katli'

The next version of Google's mobile operating system, Android 4.4 will be officially called 'KitKat'. Google's SVP, Sundar Pichai has officially confirmed via Google+ & Twitter that Google will go with the name 'KitKat'. The official Android Android page is live already and it touts Android's achievements so far. Android operating system has passed 1 billion activations worldwide already. In Google's own words, "Since these devices make our lives so sweet, each android version is named after a dessert: Cupcake (1.5), Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.0), Froyo (2.2), Gingerbread (2.3), Honeycomb (3.0), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and Jelly Bean (4.1).

slide

Now the legally minded people may quickly raise concerns over the copyright issues associated with the already popular brand. Don't worry, Google's got all the paperwork done with blessings from Nestle (the owner of brand KitKat). Note that the brand Google's Android will use is the one without space between Kit Kat. John Lagerling who's the director of Android's Global Partnerships explained to BBC that no money is being exchanged in the deal and the company wanted to do something 'fun and unexpected'.

The deal with Nestle was done in November 2012 and it took only 24 hours for both the parties to agree. BBC has reported that there will be 50 million Kit Kats promoting Android's new mascot in over 19 different markets including Brazil, India, Japan & Russia. Lagerling also informed that the name Key Lime Pie wasn't on Google's list of the names for the Android. He said that 'very few people' actually know the taste of key lime pie.

There were rumors that Indians have been lobbying to have an Android version named "Kaju Katli' - India's favorite sweet dish. We're sure Google will consider the sweet's name in one of the upcoming versions of Android.

Do let us know what you think about Android 4.4 KitKat. What features you expect from it and do you really want Android 4.5 to be called "Kaju Katli"?

Google's official press release included below -

Google and Nestlé announce Android KitKat

Sep 3, 2013

Google has ended months of online speculation about the name of the latest version of its Android mobile operating system by revealing it will be called 'Android KitKat', after Nestlé's popular chocolate and wafer confectionery.

The creators of the world's most popular mobile platform have teamed up with the world's biggest food and beverage company to name the next release of the platform 'Android KitKat'.

Sweet themes

Android has been developed by the company's engineers under sweet-themed names ever since the release of Android Cupcake in 2009 and continuing in alphabetical order until the most recent version, Android Jelly Bean.

The news that the letter 'K' will be dedicated to Nestlé's KitKat will surprise most technology commentators, who had widely thought the latest version would be 'Android Key Lime Pie'.

"We couldn't imagine a better name for our Android K release than the tasty chocolate that's been a favourite among the team since the early days of Android," said Marc Vanlerberghe, Director of Android Marketing.

Strong digital presence

"We're excited to announce this partnership with Android, the world's most popular mobile platform, which will help us to enable even more KitKat fans to enjoy their break," said Patrice Bula, Nestlé's Head of Marketing.

"KitKat is one of the world's top ten fast-moving consumer goods brands in social media in terms of fan numbers and engagement," he continued. "We continue to build on its strong digital presence with interactive, creative branding campaigns."

To mark the release of Android KitKat, more than 50 million specially branded KitKat bars will be available in 19 countries including Australia, Brazil, Germany, India, Japan, Dubai, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.

The packs will lead consumers to the website android.com/kitkat where they will have the opportunity to win prizes including a limited number of Google Nexus 7 tablets, and credits to spend in Google Play, Google's online store for apps, games, music, movies, books and more.

A small number of Android robot-shaped KitKat bars will also be offered as prizes in selected markets.

Closer to consumers

Nestlé's branding partnership with Google is the company's latest move in its ambition to leverage digital technology and online content to get closer to its consumers to better understand and cater to their preferences.

Earlier this year, Nestlé acquired its first-ever piece of online content property, the Petfinder website in the United States. The online database, which links prospective adopters with adoptable pets, is visited by more than 100 million pet-lovers annually.
Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    India KitKat Special Edition
    Here is the KitKat Special Edition for India. They are offering Nexus tablets as prizes. This deal sounds sweeter, and since KitKats are more popular than Key Lime Pies the global audience will love it. Read the source and found out how Google used Key Lime Pie as a decoy to maintain the new name a secret, Apple could learn a thing or two from Google on how to maintain product secrecy.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's mocking Johny Ive -

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    May be the named it KitKat because it is one sweet that all of them know worldwide. As everyone finds it difficult to stay away from chocolate they must have decided to name the next version of Android after one of our favorite chocolate treats.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Eagerly Waiting for new Android version but,

I was going to have KitKat today but following video made me not to buy KitKat ever and boycott Nestle products.

Sick Food corporation Nazi.
    "Water is not a human right" 😨,
    I am sure they will make even air is not a human right.

"Social responsibility of a CEO is to maintain and ensure the successful and profitable future of his enterprise"
    Where is social responsibility in this 😲
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I suggest Pan Pasand for Android 4.6.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    I suggest Pan Pasand for Android 4.6.
    +1 on that, sire! Pan Pasand or Rajmalai would be appropriate names.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I think, KitKat is sweet and crunchy, so we can expect a lot from the new version of Android. 👍

Android market is just developing so quicky.

Android is surely ruling the smartphone industry.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    How about this.
    Campaigns already started for next version to be called as Ladoo / Lassi 😘.
    Ladoo, looks good to me. ☕

Android Ladoo Campaign.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    +1 for inoop.I also suggest the same name.Kit kat is a global product so they had a go for it.I wish we should have some special "Indian edition" of android.What's your say CEans?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Just because Pichai is SVP of Android, we must have one version in name of Indian most famous sweet "Ladoo" 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a final year Automobile engineering student and I now has a chance to study "design of jigs,fixtures and press tools" .I want to give a short brief on...
This Thread is all about the latest technical terms which are the buzzwords or are on Trend.......Being Techical guys, it's gud to be familiar with these terms.... Contributions from all...
Can anybody please tell me new applications for the Electrolytic Iron Powder. Basic powder properties are as below: Purity- >99% Particle Shape: Irregular Particle shape: Can be available in different...
LG Electronics has officially launched LG Song Star karaoke system in India for those of you who knew you had it in you! The Song Star system comes preloaded with...
Intex Aqua i7 has been launched in India with a price tag of Rs. 21,900. The smartphone was unveiled by Bollywood star & director Farhan Akhtar. Intex Technologies is one...