Gold coins

A rich merchant did not want anybody to know about his big hoard of gold coins. One day, his wife asked, "How many gold coins do I have?"
After pausing a moment he replied, "Well! If I divide the coins into two unequal numbers, then 33 times the difference between the two numbers equals the difference between the squares of the two numbers."
Can you help her by finding out how many gold coins they have???

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Total - 33..
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    how come????
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @maria:

Let the 2 unequal numbers be x and y.

Hence, 33(x-y) = x2 + y2 (where 2 is for square)

33(x-y) = (x+y)(x-y)

Hence, x+y = 33
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yep , the same solution!!
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Thanks to both of you!!!
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    Total 33.....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am Khaled Hamza , I graduated from Cairo university - Faculty of Engineering - Electrical power and machines department , I am an Electrical Engineer , now I work...
Hello everybody, As I mentioned in the title, I need a schematic with at least 150 electrical components (not much more than 150 is desired though). I want to design...
Understanding Hydrogen Hydrogen is no more or less dangerous than other flammable materials, including gasoline and natural gas, according to a fact sheet about hydrogen safety jointly published by the...
[FONT="]Lessons Learned from a Hydrogen Explosion[/FONT] “THIS ARTICLE GIVE US LESSONS FROM AN ACCIDENT HAPPENED AT U.S. WITH HYDROGEN EXPLOSION,” -On January 8, 2007, a hydrogen explosion at the Muskingum...
This question was asked in the interview :- Explain this statement : "Imagine world without SELECT statement in the database." Please have some comments over this.As i am not getting...