Gmail Interface Revamp Being Tested - Less Clutter, More Features

Google's reportedly refurbishing the user interface of Gmail-for-desktop, and #-Link-Snipped-# has shared a few screenshots of the new screen-look under testing. The interface displayed on these screenshots accommodate more white space, has no new tab feature, holds seriously less clutter, and a new hamburger menu at the left hides the many labels and categories to go easy on the visual, and a button on the lower right includes actions that a user may perform - like composing a new mail, or like setting a reminder.

The Hangouts menu is pinned at the top right with a contacts drop-down, while a huge rectangular search-box rules the header. There are no more stars, but 'pins' instead, and user can 'Snooze' a particular email for later reminder.

These leaked screenshots are similar to Google's earlier Gmail-for-mobile interface overhaul. Google has never really tweaked a major interface revamp since the current template was launched in 2011, and while this new interface may see light soon, the company has not put down a definite date as yet. One may expect an exhibition at the Google I/O event coming June though.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like they are getting inspired by Outlook. When it comes to the web GUI, I think Outlook rules the game. I just hope they allow businesses to use Outlook for their own custom domains. Not sure if they've already doing that.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Outlook rules the game when it comes to the commercial use (Business us) of it. Gmail rules the world when we deal with the personal emails.

Recent Yahoo / rediff are just copy of the Outlook, Gmail is still not that close, though they are on the same path as well. I wish Gmail increases the implementation of AJAX, that will make it more user friendly.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Is it just me or does everyone feel that everyone is copying each other? 😨
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Ankita Katdare
    Is it just me or does everyone feel that everyone is copying each other? 😨
    Its good that everyone is copying one another as we get the best of one thing in another. This time we get the best of GMail catered to us in a cleaner, uncluttered Outlook design.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

palani kumar submitted a new project: Anna university GPA - Windows phone app to calculate Anna university gpa and cgpa Anna university GPA​ Easy way to calculate Anna university GPA...
Spoiler: What brought to this debate? The debate is why do you need Bluetooth these days? What is the real use? As per my view: I don't use it at...
Air-Gap Malware has ability to travel through air as sound waves and thus capable of attacking every physical computer (even without an internet connection) Read more here : https://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=132438
Hi Rupan...!!! I am currently studing in my second last year of BS-IT degree,so i wanna ask some projects ideas regarding field of Networking, Web Developement ??? Kindly give me...
what is main purpose of kerberos?