Gifu University Japan's HIRO III Is Opening Newer Possibilities

Touching the virtual objects will soon be a reality and a major step in this direction has been taken by Kawasaki & Mouri Laboratories at Gifu University in Japan. The robotic interface when coupled with a virtual display can give you a sense of weight and contour of the 3D object.

The robot uses combination of 15 motors to give a real-time feedback to the hand. This is being considered as a breakthrough in interface technology. Possible application of HIRO III could be in medical diagnostics. Watch the following video for a demo -

Can you think of few applications of HIRO III?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been asked a question many times, "Facebook, Orkut have millions of users. How are you planning to compete with them?". CE isn't in competition with social networking sites. We...
The whole world is silently talking about it. With people like Kevin Rose (Digg's Co-Founder) & Adam D'Angelo (Facebook's former CTO) confirming the rumor to some extent; it's highly possible...
An entrepreneurs' journey is about using the resources and multiplying them to get the great results. It is important to save and deploy cash in the best ways possible. I...
NPTEL is an acronym for National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning which is an initiative by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (i.e. IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and...
Google has released a new version of YouTube for HTML5 compatible mobile browsers. If you have a phone that has HTML5 supporting browser, you should check out m.youtube.com. The new...