Giant Frisbees

It would be interesting to investigate the aerodynamics of these giant flying discs:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Very interesting indeed!
    The challenge with big frisbees like this is getting the spin. It is the spin that allows it to stay suspended in the air for so long. The frisbee is aerodynamically designed with smooth curved edges that allow air to flow above the frisbee easily.
    In aerodynamics, fluid moving at high velocity on top of a surface creates a low pressure at the top and therefore a lifting action at the bottom of the surface. So the frisbee, like the wings of an aeroplane, is designed so that air can flow easily at the top of the frisbee. The spin also allows easy air flow over the frisbee and overcome air resistence.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    Very interesting indeed!
    The challenge with big frisbees like this is getting the spin. It is the spin that allows it to stay suspended in the air for so long. The frisbee is aerodynamically designed with smooth curved edges that allow air to flow above the frisbee easily.
    I agree about the lift. There is more to it. There is a gyroscopic stability that keeps the spin axis vertical in horizontal flight. If the spin axis is kept off vertical this adds a precession force, which causes interesting flight paths. It is for this that one needs a good spin. We can study (theoretically) effects of spin speeds and degree of tilt and see what comes up.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    bioramani
    I agree about the lift. There is more to it. There is a gyroscopic stability that keeps the spin axis vertical in horizontal flight. If the spin axis is kept off vertical this adds a precession force, which causes interesting flight paths. It is for this that one needs a good spin. We can study (theoretically) effects of spin speeds and degree of tilt and see what comes up.
    I agree, i learnt about precession on one of your post about the gyroscope 👍😎

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why young people now a days are reluctant to join armed forces? I have given written exams for Indian Air Force and found that half of the people who come...
The following text is the prompt of the project " A thyristor is used to turn on and off a 50-A DC motor every 60 seconds. We wish to design...
Kochadaiyaan is an upcoming Tamil period film to be directed by Soundarya R. Ashwin and written by K. S. Ravikumar. The film will feature Rajinikanth alongside an ensemble cast, including...
Can somebody suggest me a good book on Piping layout and design. I need an insight into standard protocol followed when designing piping in a new plant.
i've done a line follower robot as in this site "https://www.kmitl.ac.th/~kswichit/LFrobot/LFrobot.htm" but the motors are not rotating according to the sensor values... can anyone tell me what mite be the...