Getting a job after engineering is not a cup of tea

after b.tech its very difficult to decide whether to opt for private or government sector?? In both sides you have to struggle a lot...

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, it's definitely not easy for most of the graduating students. That is because the market demands a certain quality of engineers which our colleges fail to produce. Plus, the gross quantity of engineers coming out of college are totally clueless about their own career, choices, interests and have no motivation to do stuff on their own.

At CrazyEngineers, we've been looking to hire a PHP engineer who could give us what we want - and despite running a large portal dedicated to engineers, we find it difficult to find the right people. That's the state of recruitment these days.

Private sector or public - no recruiter wants average candidates. I'm sure all the cream is already employed and enjoying good salary and perks.

PS: My comment is a very generic ones. The only take away is that one needs to enhance their skills.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    vidhi joon
    after b.tech its very difficult to decide whether to opt for private or government sector?? In both sides you have to struggle a lot...
    Look around for small companies around you. It's way better than those MNCs in which most of they do is non-core job. I am 2015 EC graduate and I did got chance to sit for MNCs and I was disappointed when I heard about the post they were allotting. (Like seriously, my resume consists of Linux and embedded linux, and you want to post me in Java job ? Seriously, I hate that language, that language Java can't even serially communicate with USB ports properly afaik, C does it efficiently, but that's another debate)

So, I joined a small company as intern. Projects here are seriously awesome, and the head actually respects the intern's skills and help/gives time him/her to improve their skills in their weak domain.

But, it comes with sacrifice. You'll be paid much more in MNCs. Let's say almost 2x to 2.5x times more than small industry. But, in small industries you will learn awesome shit.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    vidhi joon
    In both sides you have to struggle a lot
    Welcome to real world.
    Here is what happen after the college, if you are looking for a job
    • Getting the job
    • Keeping the job
    • Keeping career on track with regular increments
    Govt. job or private sector job, it's your decision. Take little time and take a decision to thing what you really want from your career and focus completely in one direction.
    But before blaming on market or recruitment. What you have in your resume you are really proud of?
    If you have that thing you will eventually find the job of your choice. Because, then you know what you are expecting in your career.
  • vidhi joon
    vidhi joon
    Abhishek Rawal
    Look around for small companies around you. It's way better than those MNCs in which most of they do is non-core job. I am 2015 EC graduate and I did got chance to sit for MNCs and I was disappointed when I heard about the post they were allotting. (Like seriously, my resume consists of Linux and embedded linux, and you want to post me in Java job ? Seriously, I hate that language, that language Java can't even serially communicate with USB ports properly afaik, C does it efficiently, but that's another debate)

So, I joined a small company as intern. Projects here are seriously awesome, and the head actually respects the intern's skills and help/gives time him/her to improve their skills in their weak domain.

But, it comes with sacrifice. You'll be paid much more in MNCs. Let's say almost 2x to 2.5x times more than small industry. But, in small industries you will learn awesome shit.
    though i am not from a very good college but still a topper in my university..i have always secured top five positions in every semester except for 2 semesters..
    After completing b.tech i realised that with 88 percent in 12th class i would have done far more better than this.Registring on differnent wesites like shine,naukri.com etc the kind of jobs they offer always is bpo..
    Frankly speaking,even very small companies hire candidate not on the basis of skills or i should say they don't even pay attention to your resume.They usually hire on the basis of apporach..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Academic performance does not matter much in the industry. You need to build and showcase your expertise in the domain that you wish to work in. Is it IT or is it core electronics / communications? You will have to build you skills-set, get some advance certification or try to build a portfolio to attract the recruiter's attention.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    vidhi joon
    though i am not from a very good college but still a topper in my university..i have always secured top five positions in every semester except for 2 semesters..
    After completing b.tech i realised that with 88 percent in 12th class i would have done far more better than this.Registring on differnent wesites like shine,naukri.com etc the kind of jobs they offer always is bpo..
    I was among Top 7 of faculty too, if not Top 5. During my diploma days, I knew these marks won't matter much, but certainly that doesn't mean I won't score good. So, I totally neglected marks in my bachelors, still I remain under Top 7. 88%, 90% or whatever grade you get it actually doesn't matter, because we all know how marks are scored, cram and shit, last 6-8 years papers cramming out and bam! 70%+ you are.

Have you tried searching around your city for new startups ? I bet there would be some. I have heard Bangalore and Pune have tons of EC based startups.

Have you decided in which domain of EC (or IT) you'd like to work ? In what domain are you interested ? That can help you narrow down the search for the job.

Plus, one thing is clear, no employer will recruit anyone with nothing exciting in resume. 4 years of BE with 7.5+ CGPA & 1 last year project to show off is not at all exciting. It is what all most Engineers have, if you have to stand out you'll need something more. 4-5 personal projects in your domain would add big plus! trust that.
    And, this is right time to act, while searching for job, do few small projects related to your domain, and show-off in your blog or github repo and add it to your resume.

Hope you get a better job soon. Cheers.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    1 last year project
    I see a huge gap here. Most of people copy paste the project without actually worked on. This leaves no practical knowledge/challenges of working on practical things. Also, most of them ignore the industrial training which actually helps you to understand real working and expectation from a employee.
    These day 90% come to engineering with goal of 70%+ score in academics, prepare good aptitude, spoken English and fetch any campus job. Which engineering you are from, who cares.

For a fresher perceptive, even self developed final project is enough to get good knowledge and fetch a job offer.
  • vidhi joon
    vidhi joon
    Abhishek Rawal
    I was among Top 7 of faculty too, if not Top 5. During my diploma days, I knew these marks won't matter much, but certainly that doesn't mean I won't score good. So, I totally neglected marks in my bachelors, still I remain under Top 7. 88%, 90% or whatever grade you get it actually doesn't matter, because we all know how marks are scored, cram and shit, last 6-8 years papers cramming out and bam! 70%+ you are.

Have you tried searching around your city for new startups ? I bet there would be some. I have heard Bangalore and Pune have tons of EC based startups.

Have you decided in which domain of EC (or IT) you'd like to work ? In what domain are you interested ? That can help you narrow down the search for the job.

Plus, one thing is clear, no employer will recruit anyone with nothing exciting in resume. 4 years of BE with 7.5+ CGPA & 1 last year project to show off is not at all exciting. It is what all most Engineers have, if you have to stand out you'll need something more. 4-5 personal projects in your domain would add big plus! trust that.
    And, this is right time to act, while searching for job, do few small projects related to your domain, and show-off in your blog or github repo and add it to your resume.

thanx,this is not platform for agruing on such things and offcourse,we all are at mature level to understand well.PLease elaborate what kind of projects you are talking about to start with
  • vidhi joon
    vidhi joon
    Abhishek Rawal

thanx,this is not platform for agruing on such things and offcourse,we all are at mature level to understand well.PLease elaborate what kind of projects you are talking about to start with
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Academic performance does not matter much in the industry. You need to build and showcase your expertise in the domain that you wish to work in. Is it IT or is it core electronics / communications? You will have to build you skills-set, get some advance certification or try to build a portfolio to attract the recruiter's attention.[/QUOTE
    certification in routing and switching?? is it good field to move.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    vidhi joon
    PLease elaborate what kind of projects you are talking about to start with
    Okay, why I am telling you to do some projects it's because of my personal experience. 7-9 months ago, when first time a decent company of my favourite domain (Embedded) visit our college I was excited to join in. The second question they asked me in interview was "What do you know about Embedded systems apart from what you learn in these 3.5 years?". Unfortunately, I had nothing to show off. I did file bug-reports/bug-squash in kde community and even maintain few packages in Arch User Repository, but again I cannot tell them that, because they were seeking for Embedded developers and not tester/package manitainer. So, if you'll do some hobby projects, then you'll be able to face such questions with confidence and won't have to deal with such embarrassment like I did. Plus, you'll even have more chance than competitor to get selected.

Back to the main question you asked, I am talking about hobby projects or something like internship in the domain you wanna enter. ECE is vague field, there is Communication/RF Engineers, VLSI Engineers, PCB Designers, Embedded Systems developers, Sound Engineers ,etc etc.
    So, select the path you enjoy most, look for internship around in that specific domain, do some side projects too and add it in your resume and most employers won't be able to neglect your skill.

See, we are in same boat and I am not an expert to guide you, whatever I am saying is from my minute experience and what some mature 25+ yrs experienced Engineers whom I contacted have tried to explain me and guide me. Hope you find useful too.

Cheers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ISRO has released a free eBook about India's Space Journey, titled 'From Fishing Hamlet To Red Planet', edited by P.V. Manoranjan Rao along with associate editors B.N. Suresh and V.P....
Acer Liquid series of smartphones in India has just got two new entrants with Acer Liquid Z530 and Liquid Z630s launching amidst the festive season. Falling in two different budget...
TinyOwl is currently in the news for all the wrong reasons. It's laying off employees and the fired employees held the founders as hostages for several hours. Reason: the fired...
LinkedIn Placements is a new initiative by the professional network to provide a platform to help fresh graduates connect with their first employers. It turns out that the folks over...
Seems fake ?? see, behind the scene Technology has gone too far. If you have money, these guys will fulfill your adventure wishes☕