Get a secondary to Smartphone? Why or why not?

Am sure most of you folks would have already experimented with smartphones. Some of you may have even gone crazy enough to keep switching them in the hunt for the most mind blowing of them all. Boy! After my recent war with Nokia603 < Samsung Galaxy Ace < Samsung Galaxy S3 mini < Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ( oh yeah...just got it 4 days ago!), I get this inner feeling that I should get a secondary good non-touch phone for backup. Unfortunately during my crazy and ridiculous exodus for procuring the above mentioned entites, I sold my Nokia N79 ( miss her :-( ) and almost killed the good old Nokia 6680. I'm now in a dilemma which I never thought I would be in. Which phone do you think will suite as a good secondary phone? Let me know what are your ideas on keeping one - is it necessary or not? Or would you stick only to your smarto? Let us know why you think a particular model is good. Is there any model which you can really hold close to your heart and go all sentimental about?

P.S.: Dedicated to all gadget lovers!

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't think I need secondary gadget.My dad bought me an android, because he found out that even though I don't own Android I have learn to tweak other's Androids by reading forums from internet, so he bought me one.

Honestly, I am not gadget lover. Well, I love gadgets(more specifically i am fan of technology that's used to increase it's performance rather than looks) but I am not among the people who buy new phones in every 4 months with upcoming new technology. I am using Android just for experimenting stuffs. Infact, you'll be surprised that I still use Nokia 2690 when my Android bootloops & I am too lazy to reflash it with Odin.

There's no mobile model on which I go sentimental, but I have used Google Nexus and I tell you man, that goddamn phone is a beast!
    I get sentimental only for my desktop. My mom always says that,"My Kid is married, he's been married to his computer for last 5 years".
    And yeah, I cuddle with my computer 😍

Back to topic :
    - In my opinion, Secondary phone is useless. Wastage of dimes.
    - My jeans hardly can handle one smartphone, with 2 smartphones my legs will suffocate & die.

There's One life, One love,One king; so there outta be only One smartphone.😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I am actually looking for a backup phone to my S3. Other than calls and sms, I use it mainly for checking emails, surfing, taking pics, listening to music, remote accessing and whatsapp. Pretty much what smartphones are meant for.

However, I really do hate it when the battery runs low and I need it for urgent calling. So, I aim to get a backup phone with the following specs:

- cheap
    - small
    - light
    - durable
    - long lasting battery
    - basic functions: calling & SMS.

The old Nokias are quite legendary, but they are still bulky. I had a Siemens C55 which had fit the bill perfectly, but battery got busted and replacement hard to find.

The new budget Nokia phones are actually not as durable. The call quality will degrade quickly, and keypads warp easily.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I wonder why Samsung discontinued their "Wave" range of phones. They ran bada - but the battery would last almost forever. It'd do 5 days on a single charge and regular calling ~ 5-15 minutes every day (I'm not great at building up conversations on phone anyway).

I'm not in favor of secondary phone. You can definitely get great battery backup if you -
    • Use the data connection only when you want.
    • Listen to music only when you're totally free
    • Use Wi-Fi connection only when you need an important update or stream videos.
    • Keep the bluetooth off
    • Don't use a live wallpaper
    • Keep the brightness on auto mode
    • Keep the touch feedback tones off and so on.
    I do 2 days with my Note II. For those who really want a great battery backup should opt for iPhone anyway.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Thinking about a secondary smart phone is like thinking about a separate device for computing, entertainment and communication needs. I'd rather charge my phone daily and use it wisely.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Another good reason for a cheap back up phone is when you are going places where its not convenient to bring your smartphone (yet still need something for emergencies), such as:

- Gym
    - Jogging / Trekking
    - Sports (e.g basketball)

As for the case of battery is when travelling. If you rely on it for navigation (eg GPS), its better to switch it on only whenever you need it. Have a back up phone to keep your voice line on standby. The last thing you need is be stuck or lost somewhere without a working phone.

One more thing to add: Smartphones can get bricked and are still vulnerable to malware & corrupt updates. Can't rely too much on them 😉
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I wonder why Samsung discontinued their "Wave" range of phones. They ran bada - but the battery would last almost forever. It'd do 5 days on a single charge and regular calling ~ 5-15 minutes every day (I'm not great at building up conversations on phone anyway).

I'm not in favor of secondary phone. You can definitely get great battery backup if you -
    • Use the data connection only when you want.
    • Listen to music only when you're totally free
    • Use Wi-Fi connection only when you need an important update or stream videos.
    • Keep the bluetooth off
    • Don't use a live wallpaper
    • Keep the brightness on auto mode
    • Keep the touch feedback tones off and so on.
    I do 2 days with my Note II. For those who really want a great battery backup should opt for iPhone anyway.
    I agree with you for the case of Note2. The battery is a good 3100mah and stays good for 2 days. But this phone is not meant for rough use at all. And it's one of the best I've seen with specs. I'd love to know if there's a smaller phone with the specs of the Note2.

Like ash said, people who're always on the move would want a little more charge and a smaller size. A candy bar design is perfec with real keypads. Don't think any of the Nokia models last well.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I prefer a secondary phone to a smart phone always Remember the great old tragedy with your long face the moment you see your mobile make a thud with on the floor

Well boys are meant for reckless attitude which means their mobs need to withstand some hard time

How many of us play football with your Galaxy or note or tab ?
    How many used your samsung or nokia base design models for football

The answer to the simple question is the solution to your problem

If you are hard core sit in the place person you never need your secondary

Other wise better to go for a secondary solution at the earliest
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    For me Having a backup phone is good at emergency times.I found my Nokia 3110 classic a sentimental thing i have ever had.My galaxy young meets my expectation but still i would like to have Nokia 3110/1600 as secondary.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    In the below thread author says this These Nokia Phone can be a potential secondary phones. Reason is features they are providing and the cost ratio.

#-Link-Snipped-#

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am working on a project where I have to develop a automatic web based subjective test evaluation system I have few ideas like word by word match but doesn't...
The latest phone ZTE Open went for sale on 2nd July 2013 which runs on Firefox OS developed by the Mozilla Foundation,a Non-profit company for developers & users.Mozilla has joined...
After the evolution of internet (especially social networking & chatting application) , We have seen the worst changes in the way English or anyother language been spoken. There used to...
​ Shrishti Asthana, a class XI student from Chandigarh, Punjab has made it to the finals of the Google Science Fair 2013. Her project titled “Solar Light Assisted nanoZnO Photo...
Everyone of you might be knowing what's GPG Key, if not then read this article. There are plenty ways to create GPG keys, some developers even developed application to automatically...