Gestop , Next generation desktop powered by perceptual computing

Its been a fascinating beginning of the year 2013. Intel announced Perceptual computing SDK 2013 beta 1.

I fortunate to be one of 150 odd developers who are sent with Creative camera Kit ( RGB camera with IR based Depth sensor and Array Microphones).

As usual, I was glued to system for first two weeks figuring out the possibilities and power of the SDK.

From the initial work, I must tell you that perceptual computing is going to change a lot of things in near future.

I have finalized my demonstration application or Apps with PCS. It is called Gesture Desktop or in simple words Gestop.
Here is the screenshot of the App.
gestop

Design:
It basically hooks the mouse driver and allows you to take control of mouse with your hand.

App tiles are big and bolted because your hand is not as precise as mouse. While keeping the hand in front of camera, your hand shakes which keeps moving the mouse pointer to places. Hence larger action area.

When you minimize Gestop, you are again back with your usual mouse ( And of course multi-touch, for an Ultrabook device).

Speed

Processing of a frame is less than a millisecond, giving you a negligible processing lag. However with faster processing, shake of mouse will be more. Hence a good synchronization must be designed to control this behavior.

Features

You can control a media player, power point, windows photo viewer and acrobat reader. The controls involves starting and stopping Apps, reverse, forward, volume control, content zooming, content navigation, text highlighting while giving presentation.

Note, alongside Gestop, you can also control the Apps through usual way.
It also comes with a Voice Synthesis module that speaks out the time, to show how voice perception works.

Applications

Touch is not the most suitable environment in every aspect. For example if you are in kitchen or in a factory or driving a car, its not always the best solution to control the devices through touch. So perception is the answer their.

Stability

The "beta" level tells you that the platform is not yet production ready. However some gestures and features are ultra responsive and quite stable. I am almost addicted to Gestop for my media player control and presentation.

Demo

have a look at my week 1 video. Week 2 video with complete Gestop in action will be released soon.

Technology Used:

C#.Net, Wpf, Managed C++ Coding, 3-D depth sensor, Perceptual Computing SDK, Hand Gesture Recognition, Voice Synthesis.

End Note:

Do tell me your suggestions and insights about other applications which could be controlled through this interface and how we can smooth mouse movement with hands.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Quite an interesting project! Could you quickly write about what Perpetual Computing is and how do you expect it to change things in near future? I think it's a project we should be following!
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Ya sure. I am even planning to release code modules and technology cheats and hacks here in CE.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Wow ! That's sounds great app #-Link-Snipped-#. Looking forward to see this app in full functional stage.

All the best for your on going work.

๐Ÿ‘ #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    perception

Another Extension of Perceptual Computing.
    Personality assessment through facial perception.

This is a way of analytically measure the personality points through facial expression and data. The system can finally report the person's persona in terms of Numeric values. A helpful tool for interview or psychological assesment
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das

Gestop, hybrid prototype is ready and is almost stable now. Have a look at the functioning and enjoy. By the way, expecting your feedback and critics.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks quite interesting. I think there'd be several applications of this - basically I see Kinect replacement coming up in a few days. I'm curious to know the proximity this system requires for the gestures.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Kinet is for large range and is huge where as the creative camera and perceptual sdk are meant for shorter distance < 2m.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've a collection of mini-project ideas for electrical engineering students. Pick up the idea of your choice and expand on it. Feel free to ask questions, start discussions about any...
Hi, all I have uploaded the schematic below , please let me know how these compensation parameters calculated?
when we read about the orbits and satellites we come across stable points...that is when the satellite is nearer to the stable points then the velocity of the satellite increases...
I have two lan cards in One PC running on Win XP...I have to keep one disable to run another.I have one internal LAN connection and another BSNL broadband connection...Is...
Well this is time for some space extravaganza in Meenakshi Sundararajan Engineering College, Chennai More info very soon here But surely it is space age this February in MSEC Hope...