German Engineers designed capsule helps free Chilean miners

Engineers from had developed a device that could be dropped into a small borehole and lowered and raised quickly and repeatedly.

The system that was developed, the Dahlbusch Bomb, had a length of 2.5m and a diameter of 38.5cm and has been deployed numerous times, notably in 1963 when it was used to rescue 11 miners trapped at 58m in the Lengede iron ore mine in Germany.

Miners trapped for 69 days following the collapse of a shaft at Chile’s San Jose mine are today being transported from their subterranean ordeal in a capsule that has its origins in Germany.

So far, 15 of the 33 miners have made the 15-minute journey in the Phoenix II escape pod, one of three designed for the operation by NASA and Chilean Navy engineers.
😁

Source of news: the engineer

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    living 700 mts below sea level for 69 days is unimaginable, as of now all 33 are out, the youngest being 19 yr old 😐
    I am sure if the vedios have been put on youtube, but there was live telecast of the miners being rescued out, it was a comendable feat

PS: the miners were asked to loose some weight, to fit in the capsule 😐
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I wrote a VoiCE Post: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Harvard Business School has received a gift of $50 million from Tata Companies, the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and the Tata Education and Development Trust, philanthropic entities of India's Tata...
A Kenyan backyard tinkerer could go on to become the World's second version of the Wright brothers next week. 😉 Gabriel Nderitu, an I.T. worker with no background in aviation...
its 15-25 storey building. using c40 concrete. 1st floor column is 1000mmx1000mm = roughly 5400kN (550 tonne). whats your comment 😕
what is the spectrum of indian classical music and how to implement it on matlab. any suggestion is valuable for me .
I am setting up a solar power system to charge a 120 volt 100Ahr battery, which powers a UPS (inverter). Unfortunately, I cannot find a charge regulator for such a...