Generator or battery using Spring-Wound Mechanism

You have seen toys or watches or gramophones which run using spring-wound mechanism.
(Also you are aware of a "manual" or "manual wind" watch must be wound by hand, using the crown, usually every day, to operate continuously. Mechanical wristwatch with a self-winding mechanism does not have to wind the crown periodically to keep the watch running.)

My idea is to build an -
- Fan or water cooler
- Battery/ Mobile charger
- Torch
using Spring-Wound Mechanism

- Fan or water cooler
An fan can rotate using Spring-Wound Mechanism, it can even pump water. If it uses self winding system then it will be great.
It doesn't require to produce electricity, just need to rotate blades and pumps to function as expected.

- Battery/ Mobile charger / Torch
Spring-Wound Mechanism can be attached to a dynamo to produce constant electricity.

This Spring-Wound Mechanism can be internal or external instrument which can be attached to your mobile, ipod, camera etc.
It can have built in option to rewind, plus eliminator to produce selective power output (1.5v, 9v, 12v)

Infact it will be good to build an small battery size instrument.
If its resized to small AAA size battery then in this case you can plug it into battery slot of any electronic device
e.g. camera/ipod/torches/mobile/radio/TV remote etc...

Then of course you can charge your inverter or other electronic device.

This spring-wound mechanism can work as an secondary source of power in vehicles or engines in case the primary starter fails due to electric system failure.

Not to mention each application, however it will make wonders for everyone required power source
either in cities or remote areas or in space.

This is just an idea.

FYI - few are there already selling it as starter.

Replies

=============== deleted
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great idea indeed 😀

I have a question here can we use this mechanism in rotating objects like cars and bikes and store power and use it elsewhere??
    No, I don't think that it will be good to run a car or bike using spring mechanism. It may move an inch, but no body would like to re-wind (the multiple set of) springs by hand in middle of a traffic (using it as main engine rotator). However you can run a toy car or a train.

An electric car/scooter can run using it as main source of power or it can recharge there batteries (or it can be hybrid).

No storage will be required - if you are using this mechanism as power generator/battery. Then you can produce a real time power and any time you want, just need to wound it by hand.
  • kurtdaniel
    kurtdaniel
    very nice idea..i bet it can be used with cars..but drivers must have #-Link-Snipped-# on their always in case it gets in trouble..
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    try it out...the idea is good to go ahead...real time energy utilize it...
  • lal
    lal
    It would be really great, if this works out.
  • sanks85
    sanks85
    ya its a great idea to work with....
  • BSME
    BSME
    I suggest you purchase one of those wind up flashlights or radios that came out a few years back. If you pull apart the spring mechanism you should be able to understand what it is capable of.
    As an alternate, you could purchase some power spring design software and test out your design concept. Try www.spiral-spring.com they offer some impressive software capable of designing these springs.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Viewing this would be a cool thing to do if you like this thread!
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    but aj you have to consider two things before project 1-economy,2-safety
    economy means that we can afford to implement in normal life or not
    and second thing safety means to make the users in safe side
    can u assure that your idea will satisfy this two conditions you can proceed
    this is my idea
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear nm,
    Kindly let me know what is the relation between your question and my post. The point to be noted is that it is not my idea. But I thank you, NM for your participation, you asked something, you tried to say something, just like ES, BSME, kurtdaniel and 0526 did.
    Dear all,
    The point to be noted is that it is not my idea. I just wanted everyone to have their kind attention to an old thread which is really informative.
    I didn't mean anything. Please read the thread and think about it. I wanted to initiate a brain-storming session here with something to really ponder upon. Everyone is saying "that is a nice idea", "that's a nice initiative" etc. Why don't they put their views about it? Why don't they actually think and talk about it? there is no need of an engineer to say that this is a good idea. Lets all discuss, rather than showering compliments!
    Sorry for the statement, but kindly take no offence.
  • marcus
    marcus
    BSME
    I suggest you purchase one of those wind up flashlights or radios that came out a few years back. If you pull apart the spring mechanism you should be able to understand what it is capable of.
    As an alternate, you could purchase some power spring design software and test out your design concept. Try www.spiral-spring.com they offer some impressive software capable of designing these springs.
    Really I was expecting such a reply. Thank you !
  • rajat31293
    rajat31293
    I have a question here.
    Idea of the fan that has been suggested using mainspring is very good. But can we extend this idea furthermore?
    As in, the fan can be used as a source to drive a coil inside permanent magnets and generate electricity. The same thing that windmill does but on a smaller scale that too using mechanical energy from mainspring rather than wind.

Energy from mainspring -> rotates fans -> rotates coil -> generate electricity
  • praful1219
    praful1219
    the idea of using mainspring is thought that i have been working upon, i have reached till here,
    1) if likewise a wrist watch, an entrapment or gear mechanism is created then the potential energy of the spring will last long
    2) this mainspring via set of desired gears for desired RPM can be worked out and desired RPM can be utilized for running a low rpm generator/alternator. this will result in producing free energy.
    3) the main concern, "what after the the potential energy is over" that means how to rewind it. for this a 24v battery comes into existence in the circuit and it will be connected to a solenoid/ shunt along with a sensor or a simple switch in the main spring that will get pressed once the mainspring gets unwind and very less potential energy is left to churn out within. this switch will kick start the motor placed in connection with the shaft of the mainspring to re wind it and once done again the spring is ready to use. This whole process is easy to maintain and easy to make it.
    4) also a flywheel has to be provided to maintain the torque from the mainspring.

still trying my best to make it to be used for automobiles.

thanks
  • praful1219
    praful1219
    he idea of using mainspring is thought that i have been working upon, i have reached till here,
    1) if likewise a wrist watch, an entrapment or gear mechanism is created then the potential energy of the spring will last long
    2) this mainspring via set of desired gears for desired RPM can be worked out and desired RPM can be utilized for running a low rpm generator/alternator. this will result in producing free energy.
    3) the main concern, "what after the the potential energy is over" that means how to rewind it. for this a 24v battery comes into existence in the circuit and it will be connected to a solenoid/ shunt along with a sensor or a simple switch in the main spring that will get pressed once the mainspring gets unwind and very less potential energy is left to churn out within. this switch will kick start the motor placed in connection with the shaft of the mainspring to re wind it and once done again the spring is ready to use. This whole process is easy to maintain and easy to make it.
    4) also a flywheel has to be provided to maintain the torque from the mainspring.

still trying my best to make it to be used for automobiles.

thanks
  • marcdeva
    marcdeva
    This is what I was expecting.
    Actually in general we know how to control the energy for any specified utilization. Main question is how to generate and preserve. How will one recharge the main spring ones it looses energy. The answer would be spring recharge centers along the road side like Petrol stations. There can be various means how a recharge center get energy like wind mill, solar energy etc.
  • praful1219
    praful1219
    marcdeva
    This is what I was expecting.
    Actually in general we know how to control the energy for any specified utilization. Main question is how to generate and preserve. How will one recharge the main spring ones it looses energy. The answer would be spring recharge centers along the road side like Petrol stations. There can be various means how a recharge center get energy like wind mill, solar energy etc.
    even a small starter motor of a car can be used to re wind the spring. no need of external sources at all

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey is ATI Radeon HD 4570 Graphics card with 512MB Dedicated memory in Acer 5738PzG is enough to play high-end games like Crysis or COD4? If not then what is...
hiii,this is krishna sai iam studying b.tech in vr siddhartha engineering college,in the stream of civil engineering at vijayawada.. my hobies is listening music,studying,and chatting with friends. I came to...
I need to know how does icons work on NDTV.com - Latest News, India News, Business, Bollywood, Cricket, IPL, T20, Lifestyle and Videos i wish to enter into web designing,...
Sir / madam, My question is In a soap company, a soap is manufactured with 11 parts. For making one soap you will get 1 part as scrap. At the...
Good Afternoon (at least to those from Brazil Time to Pacific Time), My name is Enya (aka Face) and I suffer from a chronic disease that seems to create a...